SG6: Schola Gladiatoria Bradford

Schola news, questions about Schola, Schola organisation.
Open to public view.

Re: SG6: Schola Gladiatoria Bradford

Postby Greg R » 04 Sep 2010 21:29

SG6 Bradford
Greg R
Private

Postby Paul B » 04 Sep 2010 22:23

Cheers greg!

We can do back extensions off the stage. Otherwise, all the things on the list without weights, we can do easily. That and pushups. Lots of pushups

I will start putting a few things in from Neil's torture camp eventually
.... or I could be completely wrong.

Paul Bennett SG6 - Bradford (Won/Lost/Played) 0/1/1
Carpentry and wooden weapons:
http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Paul B
Got Wood

Postby Colin F. » 27 Oct 2010 22:43

Lots of longsword and dagger tonight.

The class has had about 4 weeks of being as full as the hall can get for longsword, so things going well.

As soon as the knight shop bring out the sabres, we'll be starting that.
SG6 - Bradford - Instructor

Those old masters taught fighting, we teach nothing but fencing nowadays. - Alfred Hutton, The Swordsman
Colin F.
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Colin F. » 11 Nov 2010 21:10

Another night of a very full class, with another new person starting and a few old faces coming back (hi Fran!!!) the hall is starting to fill up nicely. Next week I might be having to demonstrate from the stage...

Soooooo, as Paul had to to take a break due to his pulled back (Honest Guv, it's a work injury, nothing to do with my new GF, honest... :wink: ) I took the class once again.

This time it was Dagger followed by Sabre.

So, first hour was, warm up for 10 mins.

1st Master Review for Experienced people, me doing small group tuition for those who were not experienced/wanting a little more info. 10 mins

2nd Master Review for Experienced people, me doing small group tuition for those who were not experienced/wanting a little more info. Using it to move into 1st Master stuff and then into 3rd. 5 mins

3rd Master Review for Experienced people, me doing small group tuition for those who were not experienced/wanting a little more info. 10 mins

Mix it up with an attack with close to proper intention with defender choosing which master they would use to defend themselves as appropriate to the attack. Attacker would cease resisting after the first attack, except for either putting forward pressure or pulling back once the attack has been intercepted. 10 mins

For the final 10 mins, attacker makes single or compound attacks as they wish, putting in some mild resistance to what the defender is trying to do with them. I.e. if the defender doesn't quite get it, move out the way or pull back.

5 min drink/break.

Sabre for an hour.

Quick chat about sabre, the difference between infantry and cavalry and the manual that I have been looking at (Rowarth/Taylor 1805).

We looked at cuts 1-7, practiced them, looked at the guards, practiced them. Got into pairs and put them together in order. Then in a random order. Lesson done.

Next week, applying the cuts and guards to Taylor's Ten lessons.

Those old masters taught fighting, we teach nothing but fencing nowadays. - Alfred Hutton, The Swordsman
Colin F.
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Colin F. » 17 Nov 2010 18:05

Sabre, sabre, sabre tonight.

Colin F.
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Colin F. » 17 Nov 2010 23:21

Quick chat about sabre, the difference between infantry and cavalry and the manual that I have been looking at (Rowarth/Taylor 1805).

We looked at cuts 1-7, practiced them, looked at the guards, practiced them. Got into pairs and put them together in order. Then in a random order.

Then we had each in pairs, attackers called the name of the cut, defenders had to use an appropriate parry. Really concentrated on attacking with a step and retreating to take a parry.

Then to Taylor's lessons.

We used the first 3 lessons as our examples tonight. Taylor doesn't tell you which cuts to do, he just says "cut to head", which could be cut 1, 2 or 7. Even a high 5 or 6. So which one?

I got the class to play with this giving them the instructions, and then they had time to play with it. They came up with a few different variations and we worked on how they used distance and timing to be effective.

Next week, more sabre once again.

Colin F.
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jacob » 19 Nov 2010 23:23

Looking forward to it... how long you think until were up to sparring level? I wanna fight! :D
Jacob
Recruit in training

Postby Colin F. » 20 Nov 2010 00:00

Well you can fight now, but I want to do a few more things before we do it properly. Mainly making the drills more forceful and with more intention and with more movement around.

Colin F.
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jacob » 20 Nov 2010 00:07

Sounds cool. looking forward to it
Jacob
Recruit in training

Postby Paul B » 20 Nov 2010 00:08

The SG6 Christmas tournament will involve longsword, sabre and possibly cane/dagger bouts.
The prize will be this bayonet, worth £50-100
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16067&p=267524#p267524

Get practising!

Paul B
Got Wood

Postby Jacob » 20 Nov 2010 00:22

AWESOME!... I need to fight with you again some time Paul, revenge for knocking me on my ass last time... was all ready to attack Greg till you came along... Soo fun though heh
Jacob
Recruit in training

Postby Colin F. » 25 Nov 2010 17:10

Hokey dokey, this week was sabre once again.

Nice warm up, followed by solo cutting and guard drills (of which more will be developed in the future). Following this was taylors 10 lessons and a couple of drills from the same manual. I typed them up and printed them out onto separate sheets for each pair to use and work through and practice there own interpretation thereof. Except the drills, which are very straight forward.

This worked quite well and (along with some of the ideas from the drills, drills, drills thread over on the HEMA Alliance forum) will be kept in a folder at the hall so people can use them if they wish to partake in some training outside of the main class.

For the last half and hour or so, we split into two groups and had some very basic sparring (no grapples or anything else), just cuts and guards. Aside from a couple of people, far too many cuts were still with the last inch or so of the blade, so next time (2 weeks for sabre as I won't be around next week), we'll be looking at cutting with the correct part of the blade.

Next week Paul will be taking the class.

Colin F.
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Paul B » 01 Dec 2010 15:12

No training tonight due to the weather

Paul B
Got Wood

Postby Paul B » 13 Dec 2010 01:16

Hi all,
Training is on this week (15th) and will be off on the 22nd and 29th. We will resume again on the 5th of January, and will be having the annual SG6 tournament shortly after.

Paul B
Got Wood

Postby Colin F. » 15 Dec 2010 23:33

Colin F.
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Paul B » 28 Jan 2011 20:33

Been a while...

Lately we have been fighting.

In the recent New Year tournament, we saw some very good bouts and great fighting spirit from all concerned. It was good to see improvement from everyone, no matter what skill level. Chris and Jacob in particular have come on in leaps and bounds.

The results:
Backsword - Payson
Longsword - Mark

Overall winner was Payson, who took home a WW1 sword bayonet.

Since then we have been focusing on entering with intent to the bind and working on developing "bread and butter techniques" for people to work on. So far its been a real success, with progress coming quickly for everyone!

Paul B
Got Wood

Postby Markoshugo » 16 May 2011 12:20

Hi,

Just wanted to know if training will be on this week?

I came last week but It would seem as tho is was cancelled?

Thanks

Mark
Markoshugo
Cadet

Postby Paul B » 16 May 2011 14:36

It should be on this week. Last week was cancelled due to a family emergency.

Paul B
Got Wood

Postby Greg R » 01 Jun 2011 07:41

This week will be Longsword. Consisting of;

Drills
Co-operative sparring
Sparring
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can only take part in the sparring if you have valid personal insurance.

Sparring Rules are;
First to three points (unanswered hits) or a difference of two points after the first three points.
IF you score two hits and disengage safely, that counts as two points
Two successive double hits or a total of three double hits and both fighters are out.

Greg
SG6 Bradford
Greg R
Private

Postby Colin F. » 09 Jun 2011 08:59

This week we looked at sabre, based mainly on Taylor.

The skills we looked at this week were 'Slipping' and 'Traversing' and their applications when fencing.

All good fun with some sparring at the end with the concentration on seeing those skills put into practice.

Colin F.
Lieutenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Talk to Schola Gladiatoria