SG-4

Open to public view.

Postby John Tarantula » 25 Aug 2008 00:44

:( i missed 2 weeks in a row now! got my cars sorted out though (sold one and bought another) so a weight off my mind.

looking forward to next week! :D

michael
Michael

If it moves - kill it.
If it still moves - run!!!
John Tarantula
Corporal

SG4

Postby fuscus » 25 Aug 2008 16:21

I didn't know this week (Mon.25/08/08) was cancelled untill this Morning.How Matt Easton knew of the cancellation I have no idea.

It also appears last week (18/08/08), was cancelled as the only person to show up apart from myself was Rob.That weeks lesson was meant to be taken by Nigel (as far as I knew).This has resulted in SG4 owing a weeks rent for an empty hall and this money has to be found urgently as the rent is due.

We need to organize ourselves better at SG4,therefore Abbas,Dave,Martin,Matt & myself need to discuss what roles,duties etc we're going to take charge of or SG4 will dissolve into a shambles.

Nick
fuscus
Corporal

Postby Eeek » 01 Sep 2008 14:47

Shall not be there again this week on account of turning into .....

THE GUNK MONSTER

Off to the docs :(
Total n00b Yeah!

- Adrian
Eeek
Recruit in training

Monday Training

Postby fuscus » 03 Sep 2008 11:07

Hello All,

This Monday, 8/9/2008, Matt Easton will be taking the class in Muswell Hill.

There's been a low turnout the last few weeks but last Monday, with just four of us,Dave,Matt Michael and myself it proved to be a good,usefull session I thought.We covered some areas that were previously unclear to the group and if the attendance continues to be low then we should make use of it in the same way as further understanding of the plays and correct execution of techniques will widen our repertoire.

I will be going to Sweden in October (not for the Swordfish event),therefore on that Monday,27/10 somebody will have to take charge of the keys and collect fees.I'm giving notice now so that you're all aware of this and can decide who'll be opening the hall.

Nick
fuscus
Corporal

Postby John Tarantula » 03 Sep 2008 12:52

good stuff. Yep Monday was useful and have some more stuff to practise (if i ever get time!)

ordered some blunt steel yesterday so am looking forward to trying it out!

Michael
Michael

If it moves - kill it.
John Tarantula
Corporal

Postby Abomination » 23 Sep 2008 10:38

Last night it was my turn to visit SG4. I ran a dagger class which seemed to be well recieved

We got through most of 1st master & looked at some other options for working from both the inside & the outside of the line of attack. While stressing the need for flexibility of technique ("oh shit my favorite technique hasn't worked, but I've ended up here so I can do this...."). And highlighting the fact that the body mechanic were the same as those for longsword, and that many of the locks & grips are directly transferable.

At least I hope that's what I taught.

Anyway, thanks to the guys for making me welcome. See you again in a few weeks.

Cheers, Nigel
The Abomination is dead. Long live the Abomination.

http://www.londonswordanddaggerclub.co.uk/
Abomination
Field Marshal

Postby fuscus » 23 Sep 2008 12:15

Thanks for last nights lesson,Nigel.Everyone enjoyed the Fiore dagger section and it's an area that I'm weak on untill it comes to actually doing it.

We discussed next Mondays class and the consensus was that we'll do Longsword drills and set plays (combination moves) followed by a critical sparring session.

I'll see you all then

Nick
fuscus
Corporal

Postby John Tarantula » 23 Sep 2008 12:34

yeah i really enjoyed the session and was a nice change. :D

looking forward to some more!

off to Argos now to buy a golf club bag....
Michael

If it moves - kill it.
John Tarantula
Corporal

Postby fuscus » 07 Oct 2008 16:52

Last night was a low turn out again for SG4.Due to family matters and mechanical transportation failure we were down to 3 attendees.
However,the 3 of us Matt,Micheal and myself decided to train anyway and after an interesting warm-up (I think Matt & Micheal enyoyed it) we got down to some basics:-

Cutting & covering.

Posta de Donna,Fendente to Dente di Cenghiaro.
Posta de Donnna Sinestra,Fendente to Tutti di Ferro.

And a break down of effective techniques based on distance to put Fiore's techniques into a context,with the explanation that Gioco Largo,Gioco Mezano (citation needed),Gioco Stretto determine what you can do when at these distances.

We drilled The Tarantula for a bit to get him out of his bad habit of cutting without straightening the arms and his most estranged,Grand Father Clock technique of tick-tocking the sword when covering fendente attacks from right & left.

I think the session went quite well but something more structured is required.We ended the evening with a critical sparring session.

Matt Eggleston and myself have been pondering on getting a Federschwert each to enable us at SG4 to spar with steel relatively safely.Any views/opinions on this would be welcome,particularly from other groups who've used Federschwerts as I've heard the Hanwei model is prone to falling apart after sustained use.

Hopefully see everyone next week.

Nick
fuscus
Corporal

Postby Paul B » 07 Oct 2008 16:54

Avoid the hanwei feder like the plague.
.... or I could be completely wrong.

Paul Bennett SG6 - Bradford (Won/Lost/Played) 0/1/1
Carpentry and wooden weapons:
http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Paul B
Got Wood

Postby fuscus » 07 Oct 2008 17:09

Could you explain a bit more please Paul.

My experience of them,drawn mainly from this years Fightcamp,was very good.The Danes let me use theirs and it had plenty of wear on the blade;they practice with them all the time.I found them very well balanced,with good tip control.

If the Hanwei version is inferior what make would you suggest and where are they available,how much do they cost?

Nick
fuscus
Corporal

Postby admin » 07 Oct 2008 17:10

http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby admin » 07 Oct 2008 17:12

However, I have two which have only been used a few times. I'd sell them for £50 each.

admin
Emperor

Schola Mondays

Postby DaveB » 14 Oct 2008 15:45

Having overcome a combination of geography and technical mishaps, I'll be there for at least the next 2 weeks in a row - so I will take the club gear and keys - plus hopefully, I'll have discovered some things in a book I bought recently that will be worth examining in a group format. Dave
"I'm often asked if I would die to save my brother. The answer is no; but I would for 2 brothers, or 8 cousins." - a geneticist
DaveB
Recruit in training

Postby Abomination » 15 Oct 2008 12:31

It must be my turn to show my face shortly.
The Abomination is dead. Long live the Abomination.

http://www.londonswordanddaggerclub.co.uk/
Abomination
Field Marshal

MS 39564 tonight if anyone feels like it

Postby DaveB » 20 Oct 2008 11:06

I'll be down tonight, with a copy of the 39564 manuscript (English 15th C) I found on t'interweb. I've made a start of turning it into plain english, but need to try out some of the plays with a live opponent. Should absorb us for most of the evening...
"I'm often asked if I would die to save my brother. The answer is no; but I would for 2 brothers, or 8 cousins." - a geneticist
DaveB
Recruit in training

Postby admin » 20 Oct 2008 11:10

You can find a lot of threads about the three English longsword texts on this forum - Stevie T has posted a lot here.

admin
Emperor

English style longsword

Postby DaveB » 20 Oct 2008 14:30

Indeed Matt, I've been perusing the related threads - much confusion over some of the key terms seems to be reigning, although I wasn't aware that proffer was no longer in common useage. Should I cease to use it in conversation?
DaveB
Recruit in training

Postby admin » 20 Oct 2008 14:37

It is still in use, but if you know what it means as a technical fencing term then please tell us! :D
Same goes for rake, quarter and rounde.

admin
Emperor

Postby fuscus » 21 Oct 2008 13:42

After last weeks unintended reprieve,SG4 were back in training last night.

DaveB has been delving into Leddle,English Longsword and we discussed and attempted to practically implement the sword plays that he had put together;however the same problem arose (as discussed on the forum) as to the meaning of the words Quarter,Rake,Rounde,as there was a lack of fluency when putting the moves together.
It might be an idea to narrow down the current interpretations to a working solution untill there's a clearer idea as to their meaning.An example being:-

Quarter = Diagonal Cut
Rake = Draw the blade in (back to
Rounde = wind

After experimenting with Leddle we got on with some Fiore drilling and started on a flourish that I'd put together which included 10 guard positions,4 of which the group were unfamiliar with,and a few cuts (Mezana,Sottano) that also were new to the group.The cuts I intended to cover next week so we just went through the guards.I'd layed the flourish out in a modular form on an A4 printout so they could run through it on their own,get familiar with the Italian terms and break it up and create their own flourish.

Speaking of next week (Monday 27th,Oct) I'll be in Sweden.I'll give the keys to the church hall to Abbas on Friday unless you all decide to cancel that session in which case let me know.

Nick
fuscus
Corporal

PreviousNext

Return to Talk to Schola Gladiatoria