great stuff! looking forward to it.

Michael
Michael

If it moves - kill it.
If it still moves - run!!!
John Tarantula
Corporal

Postby admin » 03 Mar 2009 10:59

Well, I was there, but nobody else was. Can you let me know next time a session is cancelled please?
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Apologies all round

Postby DaveB » 09 Mar 2009 16:07

Firstly my apologies to Matt that you turned up and no-one else did. I was told that it was cancelled and that you had been informed.

Secondly, I will have to pass on tonight....again! I think it's best to treat me as an occasional member from now on. Due to that 'military overstretch' business you may have heard about, my evenings are now an occasional luxury. I have my marching orders for July so will be gone for good from then on.

:(
"I'm often asked if I would die to save my brother. The answer is no; but I would for 2 brothers, or 8 cousins." - a geneticist
DaveB
Recruit in training

Re: Apologies all round

Postby admin » 10 Mar 2009 11:15

DaveB wrote:Firstly my apologies to Matt

These things happen. No problem. :)

admin
Emperor

Postby admin » 10 Mar 2009 11:23

It is with some degree of sadness, but also a degree of optimism that I must announce the closing of SG4 in Muswell Hill.
Gordon built up this little chapter and when he left to move across the country we knew we were sailing into unchartered waters. We didn't really know how things would pan-out for SG4. As it happened, the group kept going thanks to the valiant efforts of its membership, particularly Nick, Michael, Dave and the late Matt Eggleton. Nigel and I visited occasionally to give a class and the SG4 guys led things the rest of the time. They even picked up some new people.
However, with the opening of SG8 slap bang in the centre of town, the core members of SG4 still have easy access to a Schola chapter and we feel it would be better to concentrate our resources there.
So while it is sad to see the group in Muswell Hill close, it is an exciting time for SG8, which with hopefully benefit as a result.

admin
Emperor

Postby Fab » 10 Mar 2009 11:32

From my faraway perspective, SG4 has been a good thing.

Gordon's musings were more than just an interesting read, and the SG4 people I met were great.

Long live SG8.
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 10 Mar 2009 11:36

Thanks Fab. :D

admin
Emperor

SG4

Postby John Tarantula » 10 Mar 2009 11:55

a sad time but the right decision.

We will infiltrate SG8 and kick some butt! :evil: :P

looking forward to SG8 but will miss SG4.

SG4 is dead, long live SG8.4!
Michael

If it moves - kill it.
John Tarantula
Corporal

Postby fuscus » 17 Mar 2009 18:43

As everyone has decided to end SG4 have any of you dealt with the practical matters of folding the club? i.e. settling bills,emptying premises of club equipment.

If I'm asking questions that have already been answered then that's because no-one informed me of the decision,let alone of a discussion to dissolve the club,something one would think should be done as a matter of common decency and respect particularly if the person were running the classes,keeping accounts & records,taking enquires,handling finances,repairing club kit etc and were impinged from doing their normal role for the club temporarily due to work commitments.

The club kit also contains my equipment and I'd like to get this back.The rest of it could go to SG8,so Nigel if you want spare shinai and fencing masks they're yours as soon as I get an answere as to what,if anything,has been done with the SG4 gear.
fuscus
Corporal

Postby admin » 17 Mar 2009 18:56

Sorry Nick, you were included in the chain of emails and I left it for about a week before making the decision.
I don't know what has been done about the hall/equipment - I assumed Mike had that in hand as he was the person who cancelled the last session.

admin
Emperor

SG4 - The End

Postby fuscus » 30 Mar 2009 15:37

Last Tuesday (24/3/09) I cleared out the club kit,settled the bills and returned the keys for the church hall.

SG4 is now finished.

There was an excess of £10 in the pot which I gave to the church as a donation; a gesture of thanks from all of us as I thought this was appropriate considering the decent manner in which Osy, the caretaker, had dealt with us.

I'm saddened by the demise of the club as I was getting into the flow of planning the training sessions, thinking of new flourishes and expressing a distinctness of style that could've been SG4's trademark. With the help of Matt's expertise we would've built upon Gordon's sparring based interpretation of Fiore's treatise, incorporating a pureness of tradition with effective pragmatic execution in sparring. We were also intending to incorporate into our studies usefull techniques from the German system; the idea being that we'd understand their approach and know how to counter it as well as use it if we chose, and further expansion would also have included Japanese techniques as three of the members Abbas, Dave and Simon came from this discipline. In my opinion such an open approach is healthy for both the practitioner and the groups development and this is what I admire about De Taille et d’Estoc.Fabrice will include any techniques that are usefull without prejudice to their source, and thus allowing for creativity which has the potential to lead to individual and original expression while still holding true to the art of swordsmanship.
Longsword can be beautifull to watch when exponents aren't reduced to just bashing each other with bamboo sticks, and I've often thought this was well demonstrated in Ringeck. Without descending into a wrangle about German and Italian systems,Ringecks Longsword seemed to me to demonstrate elegant movement;the harmony of body,mind and sword that I found inspiring and aspired to achieve the same beauty and elegance with Fiore.

Well, this is my final farewell to SG4. I've enjoyed my period running a branch of Schola Gladiatoria and will now return to being a student. If I don't meet up with any of you at another branch of Schola I'll see you at Fightcamp '09 and raise a toast to our departed friend and fellow artisan Matt Eggleton.

Nick
fuscus
Corporal

Postby John Tarantula » 31 Mar 2009 09:19

Hi Nick,

give me a shout if you've got any excess gear you want removing from your house. :)

Michael
Michael

If it moves - kill it.
John Tarantula
Corporal

Postby fuscus » 31 Mar 2009 19:37

Michael, could you pop around Thursday before heading down to SG8 and pick up the old club kit.I won't be in but Prisca will hand it to you.
If it's not too much trouble I'd appreciate it if you'd take my gear also as I'll go straight from work and carrying swords around in college might cause problems untill I ratify the situation.
fuscus
Corporal

Postby Motley » 31 Mar 2009 19:41

This is truly a sad time. One of the first things that got me hooked on this forum was reading through the SG4 thread.
Dan Sellars
Context is everything
Motley
Lieutenant General

Postby fuscus » 31 Mar 2009 20:00

Nice of you to say so.Gordon will be puffing with pride to have had his oratory offerings so commended.

Nick
fuscus
Corporal

Postby admin » 01 Apr 2009 10:26

Gordon's muse may return...... You never know....

admin
Emperor

Previous

Return to Talk to Schola Gladiatoria