My introduction

Schola news, questions about Schola, Schola organisation.
Open to public view.

My introduction

Postby Laurentius » 25 Jan 2017 21:59

Not sure if this is the place for introductions but here goes.

I generally go by the name of Laurentius on teh interwebs, my backstory so far as an interest in hema is as follows.

I have had a practical interest in blades for some time from a craft perspective in that I enjoy putting handles on blades, tools and for that matter walking sticks and staves. I guess I have had a hankering to own a sword for a long time, but only recently did I take the plunge in buying a cheap semi sharpened bar from Wolflund forge, since when I have treated it to the full antler and crystal treatment with a hilt that resembles nothing seen before. It may not be 100% practical, I would not to fence with it because apart from the fact that decoration has slightly got the better of practicality on the hilt, the balance from what I have been able to determine from various videos is not ideal. The blade profile was not to my liking and I have taken a file to it, but the balance for a bastard sword with a hilt longer than anything you might see in a history book is still around seven inches so I don't think it is as agile as it might be. Then again I don't have the spare income to get a better one and we all have to start somewhere. What I am interested in apart from aesthetics and craft is learning the proper way to wield a long sword (or walking stick for that matter) At the age of 61 with too much experience of arthritis I do not reckon I am up for much sparring, but I do think I have plenty to learn by observation and individual practice. I live in Coventry so whatever is local I would like to know.
Laurentius
Recruit in training

Re: My introduction

Postby swordflasher » 26 Jan 2017 01:54

I'd love to see pictures of your sword, Laurentius - I find Home made projects are so satisfying, practical or not.
There is a world elsewhere
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Postby the_last_alive » 26 Jan 2017 08:51

Welcome!

If you're in Coventry, there is a club training at The Grange in Balsall Common. http://www.suspensionofdisbelief.co.uk/ ... hting-arts
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Postby Laurentius » 26 Jan 2017 14:51

Sword.jpg
Sword.jpg (173.02 KiB) Viewed 725 times
swordflasher wrote:I'd love to see pictures of your sword, Laurentius - I find Home made projects are so satisfying, practical or not.

Not the best picture, and still a work in progress, but it gives the general idea.
Laurentius
Recruit in training

Postby Laurentius » 26 Jan 2017 14:55

the_last_alive wrote:Welcome!

If you're in Coventry, there is a club training at The Grange in Balsall Common. http://www.suspensionofdisbelief.co.uk/ ... hting-arts

I live on the other side of Coventry so I would have to get there by bus and train, which kind of poses another question, how does one carry a sword on public transport?
Laurentius
Recruit in training

Return to Talk to Schola Gladiatoria