An introduction

Schola news, questions about Schola, Schola organisation.
Open to public view.

An introduction

Postby JustJulian » 18 Mar 2016 23:35

Greetings schola gladitoria company!

I found you guys through your YouTube channel, and frankly I love the videos that Matt posts!

To start, my name is Julian. I serve with the Royal Canadian Dragoons based in petawawa, ontario, Canada. I've always been a big history buff, and ever since I saw return of the Jedi when I was 4 I have been in love with the idea of swordsmanship. I have been in sport fencing for a short time now, and realized that it wasn't teaching me what I really wanted - how to use a sword.

There are no hema clubs in my area, and I feel that I have found not only a great business opportunity, but the ability to fill a niche market in a small military town where many people have the same interests as myself. Your school seems to be wildly successful, and I wanted to know how you started off? I want to learn historical fencing and eventually open my own school and teach. Any advice would be appreciated!

Regards,

Julian
Audax et Celer - Bold and Swift
JustJulian
Private

Re: An introduction

Postby jimmytruff » 20 Apr 2016 11:16

I feel this post warrants a reply. You seem a very keen man indeed. Did anything progress for you??
jimmytruff
Cadet

Postby JustJulian » 09 May 2016 17:55

jimmytruff wrote:I feel this post warrants a reply. You seem a very keen man indeed. Did anything progress for you??

Thank you kindly jimmytruff. It seems as though progress is going to be slow. While i have found several people who are interested in the idea, HEMA equipment in Canada is rather expensive ( our low dollar doesn't really help with international purchases from companies like blackfencer.com )

Thus far I have a rather heavy blunt longsword, a couple books (Guy Windsor becoming my fast-favorite author / maestro) and high spirits that are driving me forward. So far i'm just practicing on my own. Footwork, cuts, guards, and combinations of all the above. Fiore is the only real Maestro that i've done any extensive reading on. If you have any suggestions regarding a good next step I'm all ears

Cheers,

Julian
JustJulian
Private

Postby KeithFarrell » 11 May 2016 11:01

JustJulian wrote:It seems as though progress is going to be slow. While i have found several people who are interested in the idea, HEMA equipment in Canada is rather expensive ( our low dollar doesn't really help with international purchases from companies like blackfencer.com )

You could try having a look at some of the suppliers in North America, to reduce transatlantic shipping costs. Purpleheart Armoury is a good shop, and South Coast Swords might also be worth visiting.

JustJulian wrote:Thus far I have a rather heavy blunt longsword, a couple books (Guy Windsor becoming my fast-favorite author / maestro) and high spirits that are driving me forward. So far i'm just practicing on my own. Footwork, cuts, guards, and combinations of all the above. Fiore is the only real Maestro that i've done any extensive reading on. If you have any suggestions regarding a good next step I'm all ears

If you are looking for reading material, then some of our books publishing through Fallen Rook Publishing may help to broaden your studies. In particular, the Study Guide series might be of interest to you. To avoid the transatlantic shipping again, many of the titles are available through Purpleheart Armoury, and they should all be available through Lulu.com with domestic shipping rates.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JustJulian » 12 May 2016 14:31

KeithFarrell wrote:
JustJulian wrote:It seems as though progress is going to be slow. While i have found several people who are interested in the idea, HEMA equipment in Canada is rather expensive ( our low dollar doesn't really help with international purchases from companies like blackfencer.com )

You could try having a look at some of the suppliers in North America, to reduce transatlantic shipping costs. Purpleheart Armoury is a good shop, and South Coast Swords might also be worth visiting.

JustJulian wrote:Thus far I have a rather heavy blunt longsword, a couple books (Guy Windsor becoming my fast-favorite author / maestro) and high spirits that are driving me forward. So far i'm just practicing on my own. Footwork, cuts, guards, and combinations of all the above. Fiore is the only real Maestro that i've done any extensive reading on. If you have any suggestions regarding a good next step I'm all ears

If you are looking for reading material, then some of our books publishing through Fallen Rook Publishing may help to broaden your studies. In particular, the Study Guide series might be of interest to you. To avoid the transatlantic shipping again, many of the titles are available through Purpleheart Armoury, and they should all be available through Lulu.com with domestic shipping rates.

Fantastic! thank you kindly for your suggestions!!
JustJulian
Private

Return to Talk to Schola Gladiatoria