Hello

Schola news, questions about Schola, Schola organisation.
Open to public view.

Hello

Postby davidp » 23 Sep 2013 15:12

I have been lurking on the foram for about a month now and thought I should just say hi,

My name is David, I am from the west midlands and have been training in HEMA for around 2 years. Before that I have done sports fencing, karate, iaido, jodo and ju jitsu. I don't know how much I can contribute so might just sit on the sidlines till I think I have something useful to say or a question to ask.

Anyway thanks for the usefull and intresting info you guys post on here it is really helpful and intresting.

David
davidp
Cadet

Re: Hello

Postby the_last_alive » 23 Sep 2013 15:19

Welcome.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Postby admin » 24 Sep 2013 10:18

Welcome :)
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 27 Sep 2013 07:33

First of all, welcome.

In your OP you have mentioned Olympic fencing, iaido & jodo.
How long did you practice these?
Are there some transferable things that you could use in your current HEMA study?
BTW what kind of weapon(s) do you learn currently?
Emil Barta
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Postby davidp » 28 Sep 2013 11:42

I practiced Iaido and Jodo for around 3 to 4 years, Olympic fencing for around 8 years and karate for 17 and Jui jitsu for 4 years.

As for transferable skills I find it a double edged sword (if you'd pardon the pun). Learning the timing and distance and controling them helps, taking some of the concepts such as some of the awarness training (Zanshin) and trying to clear the mind before you act. However I have picked up lots of bad habits like not worrying about afterblows or giving away hits as I don't defend them from fencing. There is a lot more that I could go into and how HEMA has also affected the way I practice and view the other martial arts. If you want more specific info just ask and I will try my best to explain.

I am learning fiore dei liberi's system but reading and doing solo work in other areas would love to do more and have some training. Leaving in the west midlands kind of leaves you a little limited, especially when you are lacking in time to travel.
davidp
Cadet

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 28 Sep 2013 12:03

David,

An impressive list! Épée?
There is a lot more that I could go into and how HEMA has also affected the way I practice and view the other martial arts.

Basically I don't have specific questions, but it would be interesting to read your thoughts on the above.
Emil Barta
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Postby davidp » 04 Oct 2013 18:27

I like Epee but competed in foil. Apperently I wasn't tall enough for Epee :roll:.

So some basic things it has changed the way I use Blocks in Karate. I can see how alot of blocks such as inside, rising and x- blocks are conected. Some thing wich never occurred to me to even think about, and I see some of the fiore's plays as karate combinations wich sounds weird but the body can only move in so many ways.

I think whatever you train in will always have an effect on your current tranning, once you know learn something you can't unlearn it so will always see an opertunity to use it so unless it is totally unsafe for you or your trainning partner why not?
davidp
Cadet

Return to Talk to Schola Gladiatoria