Ranks - international?

Schola news, questions about Schola, Schola organisation.
Open to public view.

Ranks - international?

Postby Szabolcs Waldmann » 26 Apr 2012 13:01

Hi there,

I just browsed through the thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13235
About the ranking system of SG.

I am very excited to read this.

We at Ars Ensis (arsensis.hu) have a very similar system. Each prize can be played only once a year so a rank also shows the minimum years in the group:

Scholler 1
Scholler 2
Scholler 3
Free Scholler
Provost

Where provost can only be played 3 years after the FS, and where the FS prize playing takes a whole day to do.

It is fantastic that more and more groups are using the Master's ranking system. We should talk about this in Dijon a bit, Matt, for it would be - in my opinion - a great idea to actually acknowledge each other's rankings, if they show at least some resemblance. Could lead to somewhere, what do you think?

I saw you already have a few Free Schollars in SG, we do have an analogous number as well, no provosts yet, still a year or two to go.

SZAB
Ars Ensis
Hungary
arsensis.hu
Szabolcs Waldmann
Corporal

Re: Ranks - international?

Postby admin » 04 May 2012 23:31

Hi Szab, just to let you know that I am not ignoring your post, but I have just got back from holiday and am catching up with things.:)
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 15 May 2012 17:39

I'm just wondering if a more detailed version of SG1's requirements for Scholars and Free Scholars, especially for military sabre can be made public?
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Postby admin » 16 May 2012 10:14

Hi,
In fact our ranks are not weapon-specific. Scholars are those people who have been training in the various weapons we teach for a while and are deemed safe and ready for freeplay. Free Scholars are those people who have a thourough understanding of fencing principles (including dagger defence) and are able to teach beginners in any of the weapons we teach. There are no tests for these ranks - they are promoted by general consensus amongst the Free Scholars and higher ranks. In some cases we'll decide that someone is almost ready for a promotion but maybe needs to work on something in particular - in such a case we usually tell the person, so that they know what they need to improve.

admin
Emperor

Postby admin » 16 May 2012 10:16

Just to make this 'official' - Szab and I have agreed that our groups (Ars Ensis and Schola Gladiatoria respectively) recognise the rank of Free Scholar between our groups as representing a certain standard of quality and knowledge in our students.

admin
Emperor

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 16 May 2012 15:19

admin wrote:Just to make this 'official'...

The circle has been completed.
You have made it absolutely official, and Ars Ensis's guys have posted the list of SG's Free Scholars at their site: http://www.arsensis.hu/index.php?s=723
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 16 May 2012 15:30

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the answer regarding the SG's ranks.

It has been interesting to read about your prize playing system. In 2010 you wrote: "We will have a special 'Prize Playing' after the main class instead of the usual sparring session. This will basically involve making them each spar more or less contantly for an entire hour, with a variety of weapons."

And in another post: "After the class our normal sparring session was instead occupied with a 'feat of arms' * for the four new Free Scholars (...), whereby they each had to fight for the full hour with any agreed weapons against all comers. The all did really well - I personally fought 3 of them and can say that all of them have made a lot of improvement in their backsword/sabre technique and all of them won a fair proportion of their bouts."

* "feat of arms" = nice tribute to Waite and other Victorian gentlemen.
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Postby admin » 16 May 2012 15:34

Yes, Scholars must fight continuosly for 30 mins after 'graduating' and Free Scholars for 1 hour. Whilst this prize play is nothing but a formality, for ranks above that there will be both oral (knowledge based) and physical (skills based) qualification, with the possibility to fail.

admin
Emperor

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 17 May 2012 07:31

Matt,
How long does it take usually for an average person - who trains, let's say 1-2 times per week - to reach Free Scholar rank?
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Postby admin » 17 May 2012 11:07

Free Scholars have usually been training regularly for at least a year or two. I find that the biggest difference between a Scholar and Free Scholar is that the latter has the ability to not only talk about the systems and fight somewhat effectively, but is also able to correct mistakes in themselves and others and understand the principles to a deeper level.

admin
Emperor

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 17 May 2012 18:27

So if somebody has been training for 2-3 years on regular basis (at least once per week), can fight more or less efficiently at least with one weapon (in case of SG: longsword, dagger, military sabre etc), participates in tournaments, and have some teaching experience (6-12 months), then there is a good chance that this guy could be at Free Scholar level, even by the SG's standards.
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Postby admin » 17 May 2012 22:05

Yes. :)

admin
Emperor

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 18 May 2012 05:08

Yesterday I forgot to mention an important requirement: ability to fight continuously for 1 hour (Prize Playing). OK, I understand that it is a formal requirement, but nevertheless it is on the list.
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Return to Talk to Schola Gladiatoria