Western Martial Arts school?

Schola news, questions about Schola, Schola organisation.
Open to public view.

Postby Claymore » 30 Apr 2011 18:04

Hello my name is Dave, i have recently discovered WMA and HEMA. At the age of 25. I have always had an interest in martial arts from a young age. Not enough attraction to take up eastern martial arts though. Never really appealed enough. Always wanted to do something more english, or western based. Now i have found it. As a kid i would always be sword fighting with a stick. From really a very young age. Before i even seen it in any book or tv. Or fighting with a staff. I nearly always won lol. Even made my own sharp spear once from wood. Got confiscated for obvious reasons.

I have read around alot online. On the various different web pages and forums. I have found out the most important skill would of been hand to hand combat. And the most noble of them all. The art held in highest regard would of been the long sword. So i have got two books on open hand combat. Medieval hand to hand combat by keith Myers and English Martial Arts by Terry Brown.

I also have a pre order on Lesson on the English long sword.

I'm located in Dorset. Where is my nearest Sword school or HEMA school? I know of one in Exeter . And maybe one in Bristol. Which i really hope did get off the ground. Hopefully Nicko or the Dude can shed some light on the Bristol school.

Cheers Dave
Claymore
Recruit in training

Re: Western Martial Arts school?

Postby KeithFarrell » 30 Apr 2011 18:06

Hey Dave, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you will fit right into the community here :-) I'm afraid I can't help you with the location of any of the English schools, but hopefully another forum member will be able to point you in the right direction.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Paul B » 30 Apr 2011 18:35

Those clubs are about all there is in your part of the world. Both are good clubs with a good bunch of people.
AFAIK the Bristol class is still running
.... or I could be completely wrong.

Paul Bennett SG6 - Bradford (Won/Lost/Played) 0/1/1
Carpentry and wooden weapons:
http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Paul B
Got Wood

Postby Claymore » 30 Apr 2011 19:28

Hello thanks for the welcomes. Thats great news thanks Paul. As Bristol is alot closer to me. I am already selling some stuff. To get a training dummy for open hand combat. And saving for my first sword. My first sword will probably be a St. Georges Armoury sword. Probably a hand and half or two hand.
Claymore
Recruit in training

Postby admin » 30 Apr 2011 20:50

Hi Dave,
Yes definitely get in contact with the AHF then - their website is here:
http://www.historicalfencing.co.uk/rev/

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Claymore » 30 Apr 2011 21:23

Hi thanks for the link. I have studied there website quite alot before joining here. Good site. Enjoy watching there video's. Sparked more interest for me.

I definatly need to try and get there at some point. Yep i will definately keep you informed.
Claymore
Recruit in training

Postby Claymore » 26 Dec 2013 22:08

Hi, just thought I'd give you an update on my situation.

I still have not been to any HEMA group. The nearest to me are Bristol or Bridport. Both are to far away and are over a hour drive. The last time I started this thread I did have a guy contact me through PM. About us meeting and possibly meeting to see if we could meet and train and possibly start our own group/school. The man unfortunately just stopped communicating with me, with out any reason.

I have since done boxing, including sparring, and all the fitness that comes goes with boxing. To give me a martial understanding of the importance of balance, the importance of timing, and use of body weight and proper technique, attack and defense. I now do strength training with weights, pre 1960 time period much in the style of the early 20th century, strength training..

I have since then done family research, on my last name on my farther paternal ancestry line. And the origins of my last name in general within the UK. I have traced my last name to the Norman conquest of 1066 where apparently it first entered the country.

I have been fortunate to watch reenactment of the Viking period. Which particularly interests me. Since 2012 it seems a dedicated few, have studied the Viking Saga's and combined what is written with there martial art experience. This interest me very much. So I have ordered one of those books. And will start doing solo drills at home.

If however someone wants to be my Viking period sparring partner..So we can learn and develope together. Then please get in contact!
Claymore
Recruit in training

Return to Talk to Schola Gladiatoria