Hello from the sticks

Open to public view.

Hello from the sticks

Postby brid21 » 01 Jul 2010 21:18

Hello everyone,
a quick intro is in order I believe, I'm Ben, and I reside in deepest south west wilts, and I'm a complete uneducated novice. I've just joined up, initially with the aim of finding somewhere, or someone, who teaches swordsmanship, or fighting with a staff(well those 2 to start with). Preferably within my region, or if not further afield for occasional workshops, as distance would negate regular attendance. Oh and Mondays are out too.
Any help or advice would be most welcome, keep up the great work.
brid21
Cadet

Re: Hello from the sticks

Postby admin » 01 Jul 2010 22:17

Welcome Ben.
It partly depends on how far you can travel.
Johann and his guys of the Iron Door Collective train down in Exeter.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 02 Jul 2010 13:41

Hi Ben,

The English Martial Arts Academy is going to be running a series of one day events in Wiltshire over the next few months, whereabouts are you?
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts
Learn Classical Pugilism online!

"Oz deserves to be insulted as he was fairly sarcastic"
Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby brid21 » 02 Jul 2010 20:44

Hi Again,
Thanks for the info so far everyone, and in reply to your question OZ, I'm about 12 miles west of salisbury.
brid21
Cadet

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 02 Jul 2010 23:21

brid21 wrote:Hi Again,
Thanks for the info so far everyone, and in reply to your question OZ, I'm about 12 miles west of salisbury.

Ah, an area I know well... I drive through Salisbury, Wilton and Fovant on a regular basis to pick up my eldest from her mum's.

We're currently in negotiations with a couple of centres in and around Salisbury, I'd be very surprised if we didn't get a session booked there pretty soon.
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts

Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby Batfink » 03 Jul 2010 00:35

admin wrote:Johann and his guys of the Iron Door Collective train down in Exeter.

Unfortunately Exeter lies squarely in the middle of nowhere. You'd be very welcome- we run one two hour class each week (+ informal sessions on Sundays)- but I imagine you'd spend at least double that traveling. It might even be a shorter distance to London town from where you are. Good luck finding someone to train with.

Also- to Oz- I see from your website that you're going 'on tour' if you were ever interested in venturing this far west I'm sure you'd find Exeter worthwhile... in addition to us HEMAists of the Iron Door Collective there's a large and varied martial arts scene here with whom we have pretty good connections and who would likely be interested in seeing our native fighting skills in action.
The Iron Door Collective

Your meticulously researched 15th century longsword techniques cannot harm me- my wings are like a SHIELD OF STEEL!
Batfink
Staff Sergeant

Postby brid21 » 03 Jul 2010 22:14

Hi again,
Once again thanks everyone. You hit it on the head with reference to distances, I'm right in the middle here, so it involves a long distance journey either way.
Ref Oz's comments, if you come much further than fovant on the A30 you drive right past the end of my village (Ansty). And didI see on the english Martial Arts Academy is running a workshop in Chipenham on the 11th Sept, because that would be feasible. And if you do manage to get to the Salisbury area then let me know, I'd be really interested in that.
Thanks Ben.
brid21
Cadet

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 03 Jul 2010 22:53

Hi Ben, I go straight through Ansty, all the way to Gillingham so know it pretty well indeed. We've just finalised a booking in Downton, about 6 miles South of Salisbury. I'm not sure of the date but I'll let you know when I find out (when the boss tells me...)

Oz

brid21 wrote:Hi again,
Once again thanks everyone. You hit it on the head with reference to distances, I'm right in the middle here, so it involves a long distance journey either way.
Ref Oz's comments, if you come much further than fovant on the A30 you drive right past the end of my village (Ansty). And didI see on the english Martial Arts Academy is running a workshop in Chipenham on the 11th Sept, because that would be feasible. And if you do manage to get to the Salisbury area then let me know, I'd be really interested in that.
Thanks Ben.
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts

Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 05 Jul 2010 00:23

Hi Ben,

We,very just put up the dates for the Salisbury day. It's actually in Downtown about six miles south. Hope this helps.
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts

Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Return to Talk to Schola Gladiatoria