Help with markings on a 1889 pattern Sword

Open to public view.

Help with markings on a 1889 pattern Sword

Postby Lidsman » 29 May 2018 08:29

This is my newly bought 1889 pattern sergeant's sword and its a lovely fighting Sword. I've served in the Swedish army for some years and hold the rank of Sergeant so I think it's a proper sword for me. I would like some help with the markings. This is my own conclusions:

- The blade is made by Wilkinson, probably in October 1891
- The blade has been inspected at Enfield in 1898, 1899 and 1902
- The blade has the bent tested and is marked with an "X" on the tested side
- The blade has the arrow and WD for the War Department
- The scabbard seems to have been made, or inspected, in June 1894
- The hilt seems to have been made, or inspected, July 1897

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Then we have the Regimental Markings on the hilt and the scabbard. As far as I can read the markings, they are:

2. ST.L.I

The "2" is probably "Second". "ST" must be the name of the regiment. "L.I" could be "Light Infantry" och perhaps "Line Infantry". The "2" below the first line I suppose marks the Sword as number 2 in the regiment. My guess is that the "ST" stands for Staffordshire and the the Sword could have belonged to a Sergeant in the 80th Regiment of Foot (Staffordshire Volunteers) that formed the 2nd Battalion in the South Staffordshire Regiment from 1881 or the 2nd Volunteer Battalion: 3rd Staffordshire Rifle Volunteer Corps in the same regiment.

Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong or give me some more information about this fine looking fighting Sword?

For much more pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eiXfXTyzlP8gkYQH2
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
----)--------------------
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Help with markings on a 1889 pattern Sword

Postby Lidsman » 07 Jun 2018 09:29

Not even a educated guess? :shock:
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who don't."
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Staff Sergeant

Postby fullplate » 09 Jun 2018 20:54

Post your pictures and questions at Sword Forums International in their Antique and Military Swords sub-forum. FWIW the additional dates are repair or modifications, you see them on bayonets quite a bit.
fullplate
Sergeant-Major

Postby Lidsman » 11 Jun 2018 12:30

fullplate wrote:Post your pictures and questions at Sword Forums International in their Antique and Military Swords sub-forum. FWIW the additional dates are repair or modifications, you see them on bayonets quite a bit.

Thanks.
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Staff Sergeant

Postby admin » 11 Jun 2018 15:14

Definitely something Light Infantry. There are so many county regiments and volunteers that I'm not sure what the St will designate exactly. V is probably volunteer battalion, yes.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Lidsman » 18 Jun 2018 06:56

Yhank you Matt

I used this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Army_regiments_(1881) when i researched the sword. Staffordshire was the only regiment that begun with "St". But if the list isn't complete I'll have to check Hearts.
Ulf Ulfson Lidsman
Benjamin Franklin
Lidsman
Staff Sergeant

Return to Arms & Armour, History, Militaria, Archaeology, Art