Second Antique Sword

Original artifacts, written sources, historical art work. Ancient to c.1900.
Open to public view.

Second Antique Sword

Postby Yeknodathon » 22 Nov 2016 11:26

Oh dear, what have I done...
Attachments
Naval Sword2.jpg
Naval Sword2.jpg (127.32 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
Yeknodathon
Sergeant

Re: Second Antique Sword

Postby OK » 22 Nov 2016 13:53

Interesting :) Do you have any background on the sword? Considering the short length and fuller running through the point, one has to wonder if the blade had been shortened or reused. A clipped point is not really that unusual but the overall a bit odd for this one. A short blade like this might have been for a grenadier or other on foot.

Cheers

GC

What are the dimensions?
OK
Staff Sergeant

Postby Yeknodathon » 22 Nov 2016 14:44

OK wrote:Interesting :)

What are the dimensions?

Thanks, I had it in my head it was 24" 61cm blade, described as a sword for a naval midshipman

Or small other officer.

I wondered if it had been cut down or was a French blade re-hilted?

It has to be smallish, because stabbing my ceiling with a cavalry sabre is very silly. And it is cold outside.
Yeknodathon
Sergeant

Postby admin » 04 Dec 2016 22:55

It's a nice thing. The blade is original to the hilt, but it's not naval. It has certainly been shortened, either for a specific purpose or because the original tip (which would have been 1803/1796 shaped) got broken off.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Yeknodathon » 06 Dec 2016 10:28

admin wrote:It's a nice thing. The blade is original to the hilt, but it's not naval. It has certainly been shortened, either for a specific purpose or because the original tip (which would have been 1803/1796 shaped) got broken off.

Thanks Mr Admin - was using it just this morning and has not once, so far, wanted to lodge itself in the flat's ceiling. Its a wee little thing and can manoeuvre it around without clipping the tv. I'd hankered over a klewang but the right-handed hilts put me off. I miss that lovely 1796 end but that will be for later... I thought, hmmm, perhaps cut down for a child or adolescent but as an indoor practice item to keep the furniture safe.. pretty nifty.

And has a Chihuahua pommel as well.
Yeknodathon
Sergeant

Return to Arms & Armour, History, Militaria, Archaeology, Art