Possible Wilkinson Probably Levee Blade

Original artifacts, written sources, historical art work. Ancient to c.1900.
Open to public view.

Possible Wilkinson Probably Levee Blade

Postby MattS » 07 Jun 2016 14:05

I recently had a visit back home to see my parents, and whilst I was there I took in some local antique shops, junk shops and went to an arms fair. That’s what everyone else does when you visit your family, right?

For a sword collector, the arms fair wasn’t as good as the London Antique Arms Fair and I didn’t find much which tempted me (except the bacon and sausage baps). However I did find was a dealer who had a few dismounted blades. One had an unmarked proof disc, about 3 had no disc at all and then hidden behind the others was one which had a hexagonal hole. The only maker I know who used hexagonal proof discs (is it still a disc if it’s not round?) was Wilkinson and then only on their ‘best quality’ blades.

Trying to explain to my dad why I was suddenly very interested, without the stall holder hearing was a challenge!

The specs are:
Pattern: Single fullered, spearpoint 1845 style blade
Weight: 380g (5/6lb)
Blade length: 750mm (29 1/2")
Overall length: 860mm (33 3/4”)
Point of balance: 230mm (9”) from the tang shoulders
Width: 2.3 (just under 1”)
Thickness: 7mm (1/4”)
Edge: Unsharpened
Condition: The blade is in very good condition and to my eye looks appropriate for it being authentic, there is a little bit of micro-pitting/discolouration but a lot of that is actually polishing out nicely and I’m getting a mirror finish!
Heat treated: Yep definitely, flexes and returns to shape to the same degree as my antique swords of similar patten

There are no markings at all on the blade or tang (either etching or serial numbers) and it doesn’t look like it ever had its proof disc installed either, so I can’t say for sure that it’s a Wilkinson. I can say it appears to be a very nice well made, probably levee, blade which has a hole for a hexagonal proof disc. Until I know different, I’m going to assume that it is an unused blade which probably came out of the Wilkinson factory when it was sold off.

Here are some photos of the blade on my workbench:
DSC_0941.JPG
DSC_0941.JPG (132.84 KiB) Viewed 941 times

DSC_0943.JPG
DSC_0943.JPG (111.62 KiB) Viewed 941 times

DSC_0944.JPG
DSC_0944.JPG (115.62 KiB) Viewed 941 times
MattS
Corporal

Re: Possible Wilkinson Probably Levee Blade

Postby MEversbergII » 07 Jun 2016 14:28

Well, I can't judge it - that's the other Matt's thing. Probably first half of the 19th century, I'd presume, because of the curve. Blade looks good (tang looks a bit...strange...but not my area of information yet), so definitely a good find!

That said, I think the proper term for a proofing "disc" is actually "slug".

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Postby MattS » 07 Jun 2016 14:55

I've heard 'disc', 'slug' and occasionally 'plug' too, but you're right slug would definitely cover the round and not so round ones!

All my swords have grips and other than my replica Viking age sword I've not had cause to take them off, so I'm not entirely sure what a C19th style sabre tang should look like.

I forgot to mention, with a little haggling I took this home for the princely sum of £30 :D
MattS
Corporal

Postby JustJulian » 09 Jun 2016 18:43

MattS wrote:I've heard 'disc', 'slug' and occasionally 'plug' too, but you're right slug would definitely cover the round and not so round ones!

All my swords have grips and other than my replica Viking age sword I've not had cause to take them off, so I'm not entirely sure what a C19th style sabre tang should look like.

I forgot to mention, with a little haggling I took this home for the princely sum of £30 :D

Whether it's the genuine article or not, £30 for a tempered blade is a steal any way you look at it! Excellent bargain!
Audax et Celer - Bold and Swift
JustJulian
Private

Return to Arms & Armour, History, Militaria, Archaeology, Art