Targe

Open to public view.

Postby the_last_alive » 01 Aug 2006 13:13

the_last_alive wrote:I've found a translation, but haven't read, the top one is definately a thrust, whilst the bottom looks like a cut.

Turns, out i was wrong, the top one is a thrust, but can be a cut, whilst the bottom one is a thrust. although, i can turn it into a cut, i think. so score.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Postby the_last_alive » 03 Aug 2006 23:40

Thus far all my research, has come up very thrusty, whereas what i want is more cut based, the sword paired with the Targe normally being a Broadsword, so i'm going to expand my net to include buckler sources.

Anyone give me a good source(s) for sword and buckler?
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
the_last_alive
General

Postby the_last_alive » 04 Aug 2006 00:03

Also, has anyone got a translated copy of Marozzo's rotella stuff?
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
the_last_alive
General

Postby admin » 04 Aug 2006 00:56

Manciolino's sword and rotella translation is on the HEMAC site.

For the period you're into, I'd stick with Page personally...
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby the_last_alive » 05 Aug 2006 22:49

Do you think that a piece of work on Targe play would be wanted in the community, or am i just doing this to keep myself ammused?

Put simply, when i'm done, should i approach publishers about getting it published, or just leave it in a folder on a shelf collecting dust, and just print off a copy for the few that would like one?
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
the_last_alive
General

Postby admin » 06 Aug 2006 01:47

I think there would be demand for a book about shield use - that is, shield strapped to the arm, rather than buckler held in the hand. Though there would be demand for a work on the latter, or both combined and compared.
I think the most important thing though is to start working with the material, train it, spar it and then after a year or two maybe think about reaching some conclusions. If I had written a book about Fiore after a year or two of interpretation though, I would probably have had to kill myself now.... as it would have been horseshit! :lol:
Interpretation is a long process, but while I feel my understanding of the system I work with is getting deeper all the time, I have not gone through any big changes in interpretation for a while now.. I feel it has levelled off. If I were to write a book, then I feel now or soon would be a fair time to do it, as I can't imagine changing my ideas drastically in the forseeable future.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby the_last_alive » 04 Sep 2006 21:32

intersting fact.

alot of the master who wrote on the subject of sword after the '45 seem amazed at this rumour that shields were in use....

I'll find the quotes later.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
the_last_alive
General

Postby the_last_alive » 04 Sep 2006 23:16

the_last_alive wrote:intersting fact.

alot of the master who wrote on the subject of sword after the '45 seem amazed at this rumour that shields were in use....

I'll find the quotes later.

found one:

Archibald MacGregor in Lecture on the Art of Defence from 1791 wrote:Thus I have given you a brief description of the ancient shield, or buckler, so often spoken of in the sacred page, some of which I am informed, were in use so late as the battle of Culloden.
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
the_last_alive
General

Postby the_last_alive » 05 Sep 2006 00:34

I've just come to the conclusion that i love myarmoury...

The amount of antique targes i have found on that site...

I haven't even looked at the dirks yet....
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
the_last_alive
General

Previous

Return to General Historical Martial Arts