Wrestling

Open to public view.

Postby Corporal Carrot » 16 Mar 2006 16:37

scholadays wrote:
J Marwood wrote:Well hot doodoo!

Censored? Damn the fellow's eyes.
But does it cover extensions of words?

for example, should one be f*cked off about this?

Aha!! A loophole. Clever. Thats why you are the doctor and we others are just... patients?
Einar
Corporal Carrot
Field Marshal

Postby J Marwood » 16 Mar 2006 16:39

I thought that was why Elvis is the King, and you are a schmuck?

BTW I can get into TPI - try http://www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Corporal Carrot » 16 Mar 2006 17:02

J Marwood wrote:I thought that was why Elvis is the King, and you are a schmuck?

BTW I can get into TPI - try http://www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/

Oh, I can get into the forums, but there are no posts, because they are updating the forum system thingamajig.
Einar
Corporal Carrot
Field Marshal

Postby J Marwood » 16 Mar 2006 17:12

Strange - I'm able to :?:

I think you do need to register to view stuff though...
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Jeff Gentry » 20 Mar 2006 17:48

Einar the Magnificent Drønnesund wrote:
J Marwood wrote:I believe Jake has recently started a new organisation to promote western wrestling like catch in the US. There should be an announcement on somewhere like e-budo or sherdog.

Anyway, suddenly, lo and behold, Josh Barnett, former UFC heavyweight champion comes on the thread sayin: "My entire submission game is Catch-as Catch can. I train under Billy Robinson (at least thats who I believe it was he said) and I have never taken a BJJ lesson in my life." He also said that if they thought the techniques were rediculous, they just hadnt understood it, and he'd be happy to show Joe and Eddie Bravo some of the concepts if they wanted. According to Wikipedia, Billy Robinson has also trained quite a few japanese MMA fighters, including Kazushi Sakuraba (famous for spanking four Gracie's in the ring).

Well I have not had any formal education in CACC (Catch as Catch can) i have done alot of study from video and trial with a guy in our group that has some BJJ experience, The big thing in BJJ is "Position then submission" CACC does not realy abide by this.

The philosphy of CACC is more submit no matter where you are, very similar to attack, attack, attack, they do not emphasize the gaurd position it seem's they go for more you stay mobile and control your opponent and submit him, this can be done from the top bottom side where ever.

As opposed to you need to get into a dominante position(top mount) of BJJ, so alot of guy's doing BJJ try to use the "position then submission" philosphy and it is not nearly as smooth or effective when you try to apply the BJJ philosphy to CACC.

This just MHO

Jeff
Jeff Gentry
Sergeant-Major

Postby J Marwood » 20 Mar 2006 18:05

I was reading Martial Arts Illustrated this weekend (and getting slowly more annoyed as I waded through the various Karate-suited nonces teeling me to disable attackers with jumping spinning back-kicks) and I noticed that Dave Turton claims part of his system is derived from Lancashire Catch wrestling.

I've never trained with Dave and whilst I have been very suprised at the poor quality of the one certified instructor of his I met, he does have a very good reputation amongst guys who I consider top notch (Geoff Thompson etc.).
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Anders Linnard » 24 Mar 2006 17:29

I just think this pic is really good, so I am going to post it here. As some might have noticed I am going through my photo collection ;)

This is Thomas throwing Andreas.

Anders Linnard
General

Postby Paul » 24 Mar 2006 19:47

Cool pic! 8)

What gambeson is that?
The Dutch now have a better navy than us. - an unnamed senior officer in the Royal (UK) Navy, January 2007
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Anders Linnard » 24 Mar 2006 20:02

Paul wrote:Cool pic! 8)

What gambeson is that?

Home made I believe. I think a friend of Thomas' made it.

/A
Anders Linnard
General

Postby Monster Zero » 24 Mar 2006 20:29

Anders Linnard wrote:I just think this pic is really good, so I am going to post it here. As some might have noticed I am going through my photo collection ;)

This is Thomas throwing Andreas.

Nice to know that there's some overlap between Indonesian Silat and WMA...

Bonus points to whoever can name the technique :)
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 1/4/5/?)
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby Anders Linnard » 24 Mar 2006 20:55

Cool,
it's Ringeck's third technique of Ringen am schwert if my memory serves me correctly, it will be interesting to teach an indonesian name to the same technique, just to confuse my students :)
Anders Linnard
General

Postby Paul » 24 Mar 2006 21:17

ThomJ wrote:Nice to know that there's some overlap between Indonesian Silat and WMA...

Bonus points to whoever can name the technique :)

Hmm now that you mention it, I do see a connection, although we'd do it slightly different. We generally don't name techniques (other than the Jurus2 and Lanka2) so I can't give you a name.

As an aside, I also noted a quite strong connection between golok and messer fighting before.

So, I once posted a theory on a Dutch Pencak Silat board, about Dutch soldiers cross training with Indonesians and influencing the local fighting arts. Of course, that wasn't too favourably recieved... :lol:
The Dutch now have a better navy than us. - an unnamed senior officer in the Royal (UK) Navy, January 2007
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Monster Zero » 24 Mar 2006 21:49

I find that to be a logical explanation Paul, afterall the Klewang is a weapon they use in some regions.

As for the technique: it's close enough to be a "Kinjit". We typically do it more with the elbow and the body turned to the side a little more in the style I practice, but the principle and effect is the same.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 1/4/5/?)
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby J Marwood » 05 Apr 2006 17:49

I've just found out there is a 'Collar & Elbow' yahoo group which may interest some here.
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Previous

Return to General Historical Martial Arts