Fun alternatives for body conditioning?

Open to public view.

Fun alternatives for body conditioning?

Postby Paul » 14 Apr 2006 10:03

I need to work on my upper body strength and my stamina. I also want to lose some fat (not much, about 2-3kg or so).

But I hate gyms and, with regards to stamina, I don't particularly enjoy long distance running.

Suggestions?
The Dutch now have a better navy than us. - an unnamed senior officer in the Royal (UK) Navy, January 2007
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Stunt Weasel » 14 Apr 2006 10:16

Depends on what you consider fun ... I can give you suggestions that have paid off for me that didn't involve going to the gym or running, but you might not enjoy doing them at all. :?

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Re: Fun alternatives for body conditioning?

Postby Kim Young » 14 Apr 2006 10:18

Paul wrote:I need to work on my upper body strength and my stamina. I also want to lose some fat (not much, about 2-3kg or so)....
Suggestions?

No Easter eggs for you then, Paul :wink: .

For the upper body strength I'd have to say, 'Swords, swords and more swords... maybe with press-ups for light relief.
Do you practise cutting sequences?
Kim
"sofft and ffayre ynogh!"
Kim Young
Brigadier

Postby Paul » 14 Apr 2006 10:22

Mario, if you give the suggestions, I'll try them and let you know whether I think they are fun. :wink:

To be clear, fun isn't my primary objective, because else I could do anything. Like reading a bood and eating chocolates for hours on end.

However, if it's not a fun activity to do, I know I'll quit after a few times (which is the case with either running or the gym). Now that my dog is bigger (he's one year old now) running may be more fun than it used to be when I had to go alone.

Kim, I'll start after Easter. :wink:

And no, I don't regularly practice cutting. I need to though. Good suggestion. Thanks!
The Dutch now have a better navy than us. - an unnamed senior officer in the Royal (UK) Navy, January 2007
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Stunt Weasel » 14 Apr 2006 10:26

Well, you'll hate this stuff then, because its just repetition of various excercises:

Pushups, crunches, back raises, pullups and dips (using a chair). The only way I've found to make it less boring is to intersperse the sets one amongst another, rather than doing all of the pullups first, for example. When I started this regime, I initially dropped about fifteen pounds of fat and then put it all back on in muscle with a little more time.

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Postby Kim Young » 14 Apr 2006 10:36

When we're being hyperactive and Michael wants to quieten us down, we drill the following sequence (cutting from guard to guard) again and again and again....

Posta di donna on the right, boar's tooth, posta di fenestra on the right, posta di fenestra on the left, tutta porta di ferro, frontale on the right, tail, posta di fenestra on the left, turn into posta di donna on the right......etc., etc., etc.

Do that for long and you get quite a good upper body workout. And if you're feeling particularly masochistic, you can use a particularly heavy sword. :)
Kim
"sofft and ffayre ynogh!"
Kim Young
Brigadier

Postby Jeff Gentry » 14 Apr 2006 11:47

You might like this it is pretty good stuff alot of variety.

crossfit

it is more of a total body type workout.

Jeff
Jeff Gentry
Sergeant-Major

Postby Monster Zero » 15 Apr 2006 00:23

Speed bag!

Heavy Bag!

2 minutes on each, alternating.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 1/4/5/?)
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Re: Fun alternatives for body conditioning?

Postby Angel S. » 17 Apr 2006 22:01

Paul wrote:I need to work on my upper body strength and my stamina. I also want to lose some fat (not much, about 2-3kg or so).

But I hate gyms and, with regards to stamina, I don't particularly enjoy long distance running.

Suggestions?

Pick up a sword & swing it around for an hour or 2, 4 to 6 times a week.
Ubi est mea anaticula cumminosa? Volo anaticulam cumminosam meam!.
Angel S.
Angel S.
Field Marshal

Postby Paul » 17 Apr 2006 22:36

Thanks for the tips.

Some high intensity forms practice, test cutting and a couple of sets of situps and pushups seems like a nice and varied thing to do.

I'll try to do all of that everyday and see how it works out.
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Monster Zero » 17 Apr 2006 22:47

ThomJ wrote:Speed bag!

Heavy Bag!

2 minutes on each, alternating.

When I mean alternating I mean that 2 minutes on each is a single set.

start with 4 sets and work your way up to about an hour.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 1/4/5/?)
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby Paul » 17 Apr 2006 23:10

It sounds like fun, but I don't have a bag, let alone two. :(
Paul
Field Marshal

Return to General Historical Martial Arts