Longsword: Grip/weight distribution

Open to public view.

Longsword: Grip/weight distribution

Postby Kim Young » 04 Apr 2006 13:09

This is a question I've asked before, but the answers are always different, so I thought I'd ask you lot:
When you're holding a longsword (or whatever you use to simulate a longsword) with a typical two-handed grip, say in posta breve, how is the weight of the sword distributed between your two hands? When you change to a different position, say posta di fenestra, does the distribution change? Does the weight of the sword influence your answer?
Kim
"sofft and ffayre ynogh!"
Kim Young
Brigadier

Postby admin » 04 Apr 2006 13:21

I'm not sure I understand the question Kim - the sword being a solid object is always going to have its centre of balance in the same place - do you mean how tightly to grip with each hand or where to place the hands on the grip maybe?
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Kim Young » 04 Apr 2006 13:32

admin wrote:I'm not sure I understand the question Kim - the sword being a solid object is always going to have its centre of balance in the same place - do you mean how tightly to grip with each hand or where to place the hands on the grip maybe?

Sorry, wasn't very clear; maybe that's why I get so many answers. I'll try again...
In each position are you really supporting the weight of the sword with both hands? Or could you remove one hand with little noticeable difference. Do you use the left hand as a counterbalance (i.e. if you remove it would your sword dip forwards)?
Any clearer?
Kim
Kim Young
Brigadier

Postby Abomination » 04 Apr 2006 13:36

I'm not sure if I totally understand the question, but here goes. I think it's personal preferance. I like to use my front hand (right in my case) as a fulcrum & the left to manuver the blade. My right hand has a fairly loose grip which I squeeze as I hit. My right index finger would be parrallel & touching the quillons if I uncurled it. I often have my left hand quite a way back with my pinkie just gripping the pommel. Some people use the rear hand as the fulcrum & some use a point somewhere between the two. Others lock their hands together a'la Dobringer. I don't substantionally change my grip whatever guard I'm in.

Cheers, Nigel
The Abomination is dead. Long live the Abomination.

http://www.londonswordanddaggerclub.co.uk/
Abomination
Field Marshal

Postby Abomination » 04 Apr 2006 13:41

Kim Young wrote:
admin wrote:I'm not sure I understand the question Kim - the sword being a solid object is always going to have its centre of balance in the same place - do you mean how tightly to grip with each hand or where to place the hands on the grip maybe?

Sorry, wasn't very clear; maybe that's why I get so many answers. I'll try again...
In each position are you really supporting the weight of the sword with both hands? Or could you remove one hand with little noticeable difference. Do you use the left hand as a counterbalance (i.e. if you remove it would your sword dip forwards)?
Any clearer?
Kim

Yes, I can remove my left hand to punch, grapple etc & keep the point on line. obviosly it's more tricky with the right, but then again I don't do that unless I've thrown the thing at them.
The Abomination is dead. Long live the Abomination.

http://www.londonswordanddaggerclub.co.uk/
Abomination
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 04 Apr 2006 13:45

I use my right hand (I am right-handed) as the fulchrum and steer with the left hand, most of the time.. but sometimes I steer with both and sometimes with the right hand - it depends on the situation.
As for weight distribution as defined by Kim I guess the hands are always about equal, but the right hand is nearer the POB, so if I removed the left hand nothing would happen, whereas typically if I removed the right hand the blade would dip... but in Fiore it's normal to keep the right hand on the sword and always be ready to grab with the left, so I guess my right hand takes a bit more responsibility than the left.
I don't think this changes in different guards, rather it changes depending on what I'm intending to do next - if I am deliberately intending to halfsword or grab then my left grip becomes looser I suppose.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Kim Young » 04 Apr 2006 13:51

Abomination wrote:...I like to use my front hand (right in my case) as a fulcrum & the left to manuver the blade.

Cheers Nigel. I do the same, :)
but,
Kim Young wrote: ...are you really supporting the weight of the sword with both hands? Or could you remove one hand with little noticeable difference. Do you use the left hand as a counterbalance (i.e. if you remove it would your sword dip forwards)?

? :)
Kim
Kim Young
Brigadier

Return to General Historical Martial Arts