Cheat for overlong Viking sword grips

Open to public view.

Cheat for overlong Viking sword grips

Postby swordflasher » 05 Feb 2017 23:45

I have a Viking sharp with a 4" grip [10cm], and a training blunt with a 4 and a half inch grip [11.5cm].

What I've found works is to to wrap a strip of leather on the grip near the pommels [1" and 1.5" wide respectively for the sharp and blunt] to create a raised area to wedge my little finger against which effectively shortens the grip. Wrapping a much narrower strip around the grip next to the cross, and another narrower strip between the two [which is felt between the first two and last two fingers] also helps to give a satisfying purchase.

The broader band near the pommel creates a smaller grip to wedge your hand into, while also obviating any problems caused by a wide pommel. Of course buying swords with shorter grips would be a better solution. :)

The sharp is a Windlass Sticklestad - surprisingly pleasing if a bit long in the blade for me [31"], and the blunt is a really really nice Arma Bohemia 'basic Viking sword' with a just under 27 and half"/ 70 cm blade; a recent buy which I can't recommend highly enough.

Just sharing.

Here's the blunt.

And the two together

There is a world elsewhere
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Re: Cheat for overlong Viking sword grips

Postby Luka » 23 Feb 2017 22:25

Hm, interesting... Does it allow handshake grip and pinky on the pommel?
Luka
Corporal

Re: Cheat for overlong Viking sword grips

Postby swordflasher » 25 Feb 2017 21:34

I only use the handshake at the end of a long cut, but yes..
There is a world elsewhere
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Return to General Historical Martial Arts