Cheat for overlong Viking sword grips

The practice of martial arts, research, interpretation and modern practice. Ancient to c.1900. Worldwide, Eastern and Western.
Open to public view.

Cheat for overlong Viking sword grips

Postby swordflasher » 05 Feb 2017 23:45

I have a Viking sharp with a 4" grip [10cm], and a training blunt with a 4 and a half inch grip [11.5cm].

What I've found works is to to wrap a strip of leather on the grip near the pommels [1" and 1.5" wide respectively for the sharp and blunt] to create a raised area to wedge my little finger against which effectively shortens the grip. Wrapping a much narrower strip around the grip next to the cross, and another narrower strip between the two [which is felt between the first two and last two fingers] also helps to give a satisfying purchase.

The broader band near the pommel creates a smaller grip to wedge your hand into, while also obviating any problems caused by a wide pommel. Of course buying swords with shorter grips would be a better solution. :)

The sharp is a Windlass Sticklestad - surprisingly pleasing if a bit long in the blade for me [31"], and the blunt is a really really nice Arma Bohemia 'basic Viking sword' with a just under 27 and half"/ 70 cm blade; a recent buy which I can't recommend highly enough.

Just sharing.

Here's the blunt.

And the two together

There is a world elsewhere
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Re: Cheat for overlong Viking sword grips

Postby Luka » 23 Feb 2017 22:25

Hm, interesting... Does it allow handshake grip and pinky on the pommel?
Luka
Corporal

Re: Cheat for overlong Viking sword grips

Postby swordflasher » 25 Feb 2017 21:34

I only use the handshake at the end of a long cut, but yes..
There is a world elsewhere
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Return to Historical Martial Arts