Singlestick/sabre material?

The practice of martial arts, research, interpretation and modern practice. Ancient to c.1900. Worldwide, Eastern and Western.
Open to public view.

Singlestick/sabre material?

Postby Erian » 22 Jul 2016 21:12

Hi,

I'm not sure where to post this, but the Historical Martial Arts forum would be my guess...

I'm practising singlestick/sabre with a friend of mine and we have made our own singlesticks. The guard is working perfectly (boiled leather stitched to form a basket) but the blades keep breaking. I have tried a hardwood sabre with an edge (to practice with edge alignment) and I've had a singlestick made from bamboo covered in 3 layers of linen and woodglue.

So neither of these types work. Does anyone know what type of wood might work? Or is there anything that I can do to improve the strength? (no metal, obviously) If at all possible, I would like to have an edge.
Erian
Private

Re: Singlestick/sabre material?

Postby MEversbergII » 23 Jul 2016 02:42

Hickory, soaked in linseed oil for a week and let dry.

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Postby swordflasher » 23 Jul 2016 16:29

Ash is traditional. I have used a hazel knob-root [as a pommel] walking stick for practice as it is less likely to do damage, is light and a bit flexible; sand off any varnish. I've also used walking sticks from charity shops as a cheap source for workshops. Chestnut canes are used for French cane fighting. I'd avoid hardwoods unless you want to use lots of protection. pine broomsticks are by far the worst option as they break and have a splintered end.

Not traditional but rattan works, and smells nice when you really go for it..
There is a world elsewhere
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Postby Mearcstapa » 30 May 2017 22:09

I have had a 3/4" ash dowel that served me well for many years but was noticeably clumsier than the ash sticks 'in the round' (i.e. naturally tapering) some others had.

Consequently, about a month ago I cut some hazel wands from some neglected coppicing and have been drying them out in my room; when they're done I'll follow the advice above, soak them in oil, and see how they fare. I'll use on in the Blackford prizefight in July if I can to see how it does.
Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Return to Historical Martial Arts