Paulus Hector Meyer's halberd for learning Dane Axe?

The practice of martial arts, research, interpretation and modern practice. Ancient to c.1900. Worldwide, Eastern and Western.
Open to public view.

Paulus Hector Meyer's halberd for learning Dane Axe?

Postby swordflasher » 10 May 2016 15:50

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Paulus_Hector_Mair

So, do people think that familiarity with Meyer's halberd treatise might help in learning the practical [what works] martial use of the Dane Axe? I'm looking for something more useful to studying Dane axe than poleaxe.

There is a world elsewhere
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Re: Paulus Hector Meyer's halberd for learning Dane Axe?

Postby KeithFarrell » 11 May 2016 10:57

It's probably as decent a source to use as frog DNA as anything else, probably better than most other sources. There are probably all kinds of problems with using it to inform you about Dane axe fighting, but since there is so little material on that subject, it's probably not a bad place to start.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby swordflasher » 11 May 2016 18:04

Thanks Keith, I'm just interested in exploring the weapon itself, so perhaps it'll be a start - it's already making me explore ideas I wouldn't otherwise have considered. I appreciate you taking the time to answer!
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 05 Jun 2016 08:24

Yes it seems like as decent place to start as any, as Keith says. I'd just throw in that the Bolognese material has quite a variety of polearms covered, between Marozzo, Manciolino and Anonimo. The latter has bill for example, as well as pollaxe. Also note that there is a wide variety in the available pollaxe sources. Talhoffer's pollaxe, for example, is very different to Fiore's polehammer. And both are pretty different to Le Jeu de la Hache or Anonimo Bolognese, which superficially seem more similar to each other. So I'd say look a bit at everything available. Many of the differences come down to shaft length, or armour vs unarmoued etc.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby swordflasher » 05 Jun 2016 18:20

Thanks Matt, that's very helpful!

I'm already finding that the Dane axes I'm using - with hafts of 4' [cold steel] and 4' 7" [home made with lighter head and slimmer haft] are possibly shorter than most poleaxes and don't really invite holding it butt forwards and using the butt for defense.

Any ideas gratefully received.
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Return to Historical Martial Arts