Dussack techniques in a saber tournament?

The practice of martial arts, research, interpretation and modern practice. Ancient to c.1900. Worldwide, Eastern and Western.
Open to public view.

Dussack techniques in a saber tournament?

Postby Gamespy10 » 30 Mar 2016 10:32

Hi I'm relatively new to hema just comeing up to the end of my 1st year of training primarily training itallian longsword and meyers dussack. I want to start entering tournaments by the end of my second year however in the UK there dosent seem to be any tournaments for dussack.

My question is could I use dussack techniques in a sabre tournament and would this be aceptable. I'm nervouse that this may be frowned upon as i have seen many posts about bad technique at tournaments. I wad thinking about starting in the synthetics tournament at fight camp next year. Any advice would be greatly apreciated thanks.
Gamespy10
Cadet

Re: Dussack techniques in a saber tournament?

Postby MEversbergII » 30 Mar 2016 13:28

I don't see why not. There are some differences in the weapon, but a lot of translation should be there. Definitely buy a competition grade weapon and practice with it, though, since the weapon will have differences in reach and timing at least. As for bad technique: so long as it doesn't get you out of the tournament, it's good technique.

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Postby Gamespy10 » 30 Mar 2016 23:30

Thanks for your answer. Thats what I was hoping to hear really, would anybody be able to suggest a site that sells good competition grade sabres?
Gamespy10
Cadet

Postby MEversbergII » 31 Mar 2016 00:38

You'd have to check the regs of the specific turney, but if you're in the UK Red Dragon was carrying Matt Easton's a while. The synthetics they have are also pretty good I have heard.

M.

MEversbergII
Major

Postby Barca » 07 Apr 2016 04:38

Ask the organisers whether they are wanting to encourage sabre technique from a particular era or culture, or not. If not, dusack is a valid system for any single handed sword, especially curved ones like sabres. Indeed, there is a view, which I share, that dusack is a great platform for studying 17th century central European sabre (Hungarian, Polish etc). Best example of that approach (informed by other sources too) are Sieniawski & sons. Their YT channel is well worth a look if you want to adapt dusack to sabres. It is a powerful, brutal, but flowing method with an emphasis on deflecting cuts rather than static parries. One warning though, if you use the full arm cuts, especially with a highly curved sabre, you may be surrendering a time and reach advantage to sabrists using more conventional wrist cuts from forward guards with straighter sabres. Their cuts might not be as powerful but they may out time you. Should be fun and interesting though.
Barca
Staff Sergeant

Postby Gamespy10 » 14 Apr 2016 14:42

Thank you for answering me will definitely check out their you tube channel. I agree with you about the full arm cuts in dussack and the tempo, might be worth finding a sabre practitioner and having a go against them to see how well I can adapt.

It would definitely be an interesting exercise using a dussack against a sabre and seeing what does and does not work, but thats for another topic I suppose :)
Gamespy10
Cadet

Postby admin » 29 Apr 2016 08:54

Certainly at FightCamp people are welcome to use whatever styles they like, so in the sabre/backsword tournaments you'll find people using sabre, backsword, sidesword, rapier, dussack, gatka.... basically any one-handed sword style which works for complex/enclosed hilts. People who try to use arming sword (and early sidesword) method tend to fair badly, because their systems weren't designed to take advantage of very protective hilts. But some sidesworders do okay.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby MEversbergII » 29 Apr 2016 13:57

Matt, I'm assuming they do poorly because the weapon is held further back (thus takes longer to strike)?

M.

MEversbergII
Major

Postby admin » 25 May 2016 10:39

Yes exactly. Holding the weapon further forward is advantageous in most one-on-one fighting, but if you don't have an enclosed hilt then it's too dangerous. Enclosed hilts are quite a game changer really - at least in points-based competition. In all-out melee, or war, then things are probably less distinct, as people are aiming for killing blows more and less sniping at limbs.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby MEversbergII » 26 May 2016 03:37

Meanwhile, I'm over here with a smallsword, sans enclosed hit, but having that blade-forward stance...yay me!

M.

MEversbergII
Major

Postby Gamespy10 » 29 May 2016 18:52

Hey thanks again for answering my question, I'm actually coming to fight camp this year iv not entered any of the competitions due to my lack of experience but will definitely have a look at the sabre tournament to see how it all works. hopefully you'll see me competing next year :)
Gamespy10
Cadet

Return to Historical Martial Arts