Smallsword Database

Open to public view.

Smallsword Database

Postby MEversbergII » 09 Feb 2016 05:52

I have constructed a database of smallsword (and related) texts. It is not complete. However, it currently houses some 40 records of books dealing directly with, and systematically related to, the smallsword. It records titles, authors, dates of publications, and information about original scans and republications. It will continue to grow as more texts are found.

The link is here: http://goo.gl/8xIO8W

The Objective of this spreadsheet was to make a one stop shop where a user can see what kind of smallsword/foil/dueling sword texts exist, when they were written, and where they can get it at. Sort of like our treaties section here, but a bit more organized.

The system's a bit simplistic - with enough database manipulation and a good front-end, it could possibly be more powerful and detailed (most notably my current one doesn't handle multiple republications well at all), but this wasn't a high effort project and costs nothing to the community.

There may be some stickyness with some of the contents. Most noticeably, I definitely utilized modernized nations to typify where these treaties came from. I'm aware that, at 1734 the "United States" wasn't a thing that existed (nor was Italy at 1800), but I'm aiming this at a generic modern user, who is more inclined to think of the authors in such terms. This system has it's own issues; one treaties is written by a German in Swedo-Italic-French, in Sweden. What do.

In any event, feel free to peruse it and suggest omissions (there are many - I just haven't met them yet), improvements, etc. I had van Noort suggest year of publication for repubs, which may be a good idea. Editing power is invite only, otherwise it could go pear-shaped fast (even though I've strongly validated every field except title).

I am hoping this kind of DB can be created for other weapons / treaties that are related to each other; sabre, for instance.

Cheers!

M.
Last edited by MEversbergII on 09 Feb 2016 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Re: Smallsword Database

Postby knirirr » 09 Feb 2016 09:21

Thanks for putting this together.

With apologies for the inevitable, I note that what I consider to be the best smallsword text isn't there, though various others by the same author are. Would you mind adding that, please?
"FOR, to my certain knowledge I can affirm, that no People in the World, have a swifter Hand in Thrusting, nor any, a more loose or uncertain Parade, than the French."
knirirr
Gentleman

Postby MEversbergII » 11 Feb 2016 06:00

No problem! Sorry for the slow reply; work and other obligations kept me.

Godfrey's actually already on the list, under "A Treatise Upon the Useful Science of Defence, Connection the Small and Back Sword". I've actually got a few things I linked from your page on there.

Also, I just realized the sorting is a little obscure in "view only" mode. Instead of having columnar integration, it is entirely menu-driven. Not intuitive.

Also just dawned on me I should probably have Last Name, First Name rather than the reverse.

M.

MEversbergII
Major

Postby knirirr » 11 Feb 2016 14:49

MEversbergII wrote:Godfrey's actually already on the list, under "A Treatise Upon the Useful Science of Defence, Connection the Small and Back Sword". I've actually got a few things I linked from your page on there.

Thanks - I was in fact looking for the New Method but somehow managed to miss it. :oops:
"FOR, to my certain knowledge I can affirm, that no People in the World, have a swifter Hand in Thrusting, nor any, a more loose or uncertain Parade, than the French."
knirirr
Gentleman

Postby MEversbergII » 11 Feb 2016 17:03

Yep! Your site was quite handy for getting transcriptions and the like. For reprints, I started with my own reprint collection; appears that I need to grab a few off Amazon and Lulu yet still, though!

If you've got suggestions for improvements, do let me know. Implementation time might be a bit fuzzy, though (I'm actually only able to address this right now at the office since I'm in "hurry up and wait" mode - Drive is not accessible in my spaces), but it'll definitely be considered. Definitely need to see if I can programmatically alternate the colors of the lines or something, as it is currently a big wall of black-on-white text...

M.

MEversbergII
Major

Return to General Historical Martial Arts