Hi there !

Open to public view.

Hi there !

Postby RobinZ » 20 Jan 2016 17:30

Hey there !
My name is Robin, I'm 23 years old and from Switzerland. I was always interested in history and martial arts, however, I only recently found out that HEMA exists - that was mostly because I thought it's a lost art. By my own surprise it happened that my brother showed me a video of two people fencing with longswords; I started researching and ended up here ! So hi everyone !

I had already contacted Mr. Easton (and on his advise, the swiss HEMA organisation) and asked if I could start training at home, since I go to school twice a week and twice a week to thai-boxing lesson along working on a 100% basis and therefore don't have much time at hands to travel "far" around to go to HEMA class as well - both replies were positive that it's possible.

Now I have two questions: I started readind the old treatises, but have also bought a book and a DVD, namely one by Herbert Schmidt called Swordfighting: Fighting with the longsword (I ordered it in german where it's called Schwertkampf: Der Kampf mit dem langen Schwert nach der deutschen Schule) and a DVD from Agilitas.tv. Now, my question is, do you guys think that's enough to start with ?

Then, my second question: I would like to order a longsword of course, now I have contacted Pavel Moc and Szymon Chlebowski for an offer - both have replied and I tend to go with Szymons' offer. What do you think would be the right specs for a beginner sword (size and weight), and would you recommend buying a steel sword right away or would it be better to use a wooden sword or something like that for the beginning ? I would also like to use my sword as decoration, that's the reason why I would like a blunt steel sword, but if you say it's not recommended I would rethink it !

Thanks a lot in advance and again, hello to everybody !

Robin
RobinZ
Cadet

Re: Hi there !

Postby Herbert » 21 Jan 2016 08:02

Hello Robin,

I'd recommend a steel sword although you could start with a wooden sword as well. The steel sword has several advantages and with proper caution it is almost as safe as a wooden sword. Start training slow, with slow movements and don't rush it.

If you have any more questions, you can always mail me.

(Im übrigen gibt es auch ein deutschsprachiges Forum von Ars Gladii - www.arsgladii.at - einfach auf Forum klicken. Da sind auch viele Schweizer vertreten. Ach, und danke für den Buchkauf, ich hoffe, es hilft Dir weiter!).

Best wishes

Herbert
Herbert
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby admin » 21 Jan 2016 09:44

Hi Robin, welcome to the forum.
I'd be curious to hear about experiences in buying from Szymon, as I've heard mixed things about his reliability of service, but that his swords are good. Another good option would be Regenyei Armoury.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby RobinZ » 21 Jan 2016 09:56

Thanks for the replies !

Okay, then I go for the steel sword from Szymon ! Do you guys think it's enough if I tell Szymon that I want a longsword and give some indication what I'd want the handle, crossguard and pommel to look like, or would I need to give him the exact specs on the blade, length and weight ? If so, can anyone help me with that ? I have absolutely no experience about it at all what would be usefull for a beginner :)

@Herbert: Wow, how cool is that, the author itself is on here too ! Thanks for the recommendation, I will go have a look at it as well (werde dich wahrscheinlich auch kontaktieren, wenn ich Fragen habe, danke für das Angebot !).

@Matt: I'll give a review on the experience as soon as I've got it !

Another thing: I have contacted a friend of mine who is a fencer and was always very interested in the middle ages if he would like to join in; he said yes, but his main interest lies in sword and shield-fighting. Now, what I mostly saw in the treatises I've read and some online research is that this usually involves a buckler, but I think my friend thought more of a "battle/war"-shield like a heater shield or a kite shield... Are there books on that as well, or should we start with sword and buckler because it's essentialy the same, no matter how big or heavy the shield is ?
RobinZ
Cadet

Postby Herbert » 21 Jan 2016 10:40

RobinZ wrote:Are there books on that as well, or should we start with sword and buckler because it's essentialy the same, no matter how big or heavy the shield is ?

Sword & Buckler is totally different from using swords with larger shields. There are few similarities although I am not an expert on larger shields. Unfortunately there are no extant sources on the usage of the earlier larger shield (at least not that I am aware of).

If you need help with the sword, best contact me per mail or PM.
Herbert
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby RobinZ » 21 Jan 2016 15:30

Alright, thanks for clearing that up ! I think I'll post more questions regarding sword & shield then in another thread, and hope people can answer me on that or at least give us hints :)

Regarding "my" Sword, I have contacted you by PM, thanks again !
RobinZ
Cadet

Return to General Historical Martial Arts