Designing a True Two-Hander?

Open to public view.

Designing a True Two-Hander?

Postby Isidore2daMax » 09 Mar 2015 23:39

Hello everyone,

Just wrote a page-long post and was prompted to log in upon requesting to preview, and reloaded to find all the writing gone. Serves me right :P

I am writing in the hopes of getting some advice from more experienced or practiced people that I'm sure are patrolling this forum. I and a few friends have recently gotten into historical fencing. Although most of our recent training (none of it under an instructor) has been with Longsword (with a focus on Fiore, it's a little strange we all started with random backgrounds, from Taekwondo to Escrima), ironically our first book was Mondschein's "The Art of the Two-Handed Sword". Thus, having also recently made our transition from synthetic wasters to the affordable Tinker Longswords, a couple of us in re-reading Mondschein's book have latched onto the idea of designing and ordering some true two-handed swords from Peter Regenyei at Regenyei Armories this coming summer. It seems we have the motivation and hopefully (in the future) the money to follow through on this ambition.

I have spent plenty of time contemplating the sword in question that I'd like to pitch to Peter, and his U.S coordinator/retailer Scott Brown seems to think there's a good deal of leeway (for a price of course) in his capabilities. Monschein's book talks about Spadone, however I drew up a sword that's a wee bit taller even than me myself, so I thought I should put this up on a forum to see if anyone had any advice or input. Although it seems daunting, I've seen plenty of footage and historical illustrations with people wielding swords that are obviously longer than they are tall. My question is whether or not the design I propose in the attached image seems plausible to make both durable, blunt, and functionally balanced and weighted. A document I read referenced a couple collections of historical swords in museums, and even functional swords (as opposed to civic or 'bearing' swords) ranged at their highest in the mid to high 180's in centimeters long. One of Regenyei's two-handers is a massive 198cm. Thus, I don't feel overly ridiculous considering a 172cm sword, even if I myself barely come up to that.

If you are willing, I would love you guys' input, as I have never had one of these swords in my possession, and I've only held one and seen a few. Any experience or practice that you guys would be willing to share, since I wouldn't want to spend so much money and time in purchasing and learning this kind of sword if I was misguided or under incorrect preconceptions about technique or equipment. My Taekwondo instructor always said, "Practice makes permanent," so I figure I should be cautious. Thank you all again for reading, and in advance for your responses. The image is attached to this post.

- Ellery
Attachments
Ellery's Sword Schematic (s).jpg
Red line is 171.5cm (my height). Sorry for the durpy label terminology, and also that I refer to everything as "length" when some measurements are in fact width.
Ellery's Sword Schematic (s).jpg (155.64 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
Isidore2daMax
Recruit in training

Re: Designing a True Two-Hander?

Postby Luka » 10 Mar 2015 22:54

Sorry for linking to a thread on another forum, I'm not sure if that is approved here, but here you can see my custom made twohander based on Swiss examples. You might like the dimensions, it's 120cm blade + 50cm hilt, so 170cm overall. Scroll down for cutting videos.

http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
Luka
Corporal

Postby Isidore2daMax » 13 Mar 2015 01:16

Hey Luka,

That is an excellent looking sword! I had a question after watching your cutting videos, regarding the maneuverability of the sword. Do you find performing Mullinelli or circular strikes is cumbersome or difficult? I suppose that practice and technique can adjust someone to a pretty good variety of weapons but have you tried other cuts with the sword? Does it move quickly enough? I know it's a matter of form and rhythm more than of physical strength but I was wondering if the height difference was a hinderance to you. Any regrets at all? Again, wonderful looking sword!

- Ellery
Last edited by Isidore2daMax on 31 Mar 2015 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
Isidore2daMax
Recruit in training

Postby Luka » 24 Mar 2015 19:46

I'm really not the best person to describe how difficult is to handle this sword. I'm very short and not especially strong. This sword is definitely an overkill for me, but it does handle well I would say. I don't have any problems with any moves, but it is a big sword and it tires me quickly. And I do have to be a bit more careful not to strike the ground. But I definitely have no regrets about it, I knew it wouldn't be a sword best suited to my strength, skill and height, but I can enjoy it for what it is. The very fact that I can successfully cut with a sword bigger than me is very satisfactory. :D
Luka
Corporal

Return to General Historical Martial Arts