HEMA club or Equivalent in Devon Dorset area?

Open to public view.

HEMA club or Equivalent in Devon Dorset area?

Postby BrenCava » 06 Jan 2015 22:39

I have been interested in HEMA for about a year now (sword fighting, projectiles and historical combat for most of my life) and I really want to start actually practising and learning how to do it IRL. I recently moved to Devon near Axminster and would like to know if there are any clubs near enough(below hours of expensive travel, Exeter is OK) that I could join? I am sixteen and don't really have many time restrictions except school and/+ travel.

I think I would prefer Messer/falchion best but I know these are less popular and am pretty open in what to learn, I am also quite interested in spear and polearm fighting.

I just found the Exeter Iron Door collective, I will definitely investigate them but obviously if a club is nearer then I would prefer it.

ThankYou,

BrenCava.
BrenCava
Cadet

Re: HEMA club or Equivalent in Devon Dorset area?

Postby Monzambano » 06 Jan 2015 23:43

Apologies, I can't really help you we are really too far away, but please keep at it and have no compunction about button-holing anyone. We're all caught up in our own stuff, so if you come across a brush-off or a delayed response: It's not personal, try the next one.
The best revenge is living well
Monzambano
Lieutenant

Location: Bühler - formerly territory of the prince-abbot of St Gallen

Postby admin » 07 Jan 2015 12:16

Welcome to the forum - I think the IDC in Exeter are your closest club, but if you're on Facebook then sign up to the UK HEMA page and ask there, because since we started that page a lot of small local groups have come to light which most of us didn't realise existed before. HEMA is certainly growing and new clubs have to start somewhere.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby BrenCava » 07 Jan 2015 22:28

Thanks for the replies I have contacted IDC and will hopefully start going there :), Ill also post on the UK HEMA page now see what happens!
BrenCava
Cadet

Postby Inthe Meantime » 29 Mar 2015 13:53

Hi BrenCava
Missed this when you posted. You're welcome to join us at www.facebook.com/TauntonLongswords
We train Monday evenings from 7.30 barring 30th March (special) and 6th April cause Easter and the Center is closed. We mainly do German Longsword from Ringeck to Meyer. We have a sister group that does infotainment reenactmant called http://www.bowlore.com/Inside-The-Hollow-Yew.html if such is your thing and one of our members is part of the English BotN team if stupid levels of violence rocks your boat.
Pugnavimus ensibus
Haud post longum tempus
Inthe Meantime
Private

Return to General Historical Martial Arts