Home made modern day gambesons??

Open to public view.

Re: Home made modern day gambesons??

Postby SteelCat » 19 Dec 2014 19:11

I checked my cheap second hand suppliers and what is in good supply, cheap and looks promising is flannel bed sheets and I lean more and more to the wash/dry/sew friendly two jackes buttoned into one another solution.

By the way, do you know how to make a neck/chest protector?
SteelCat
Private

Postby Thallian » 20 Dec 2014 14:10

I did have a padded gorget pattern. somewhere. email. me and I'll try to scan it.
Thallian
Corporal

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 21 Dec 2014 10:25

the clubb had a bit of a DIY projekt for their own jackets that may be of interest to you.

materials: 4 layers linnen(between 10-12m worth of cloth). linnen felt 25mm(around 3m), 1500m thread. Sturdy zipper, and some leather to strengthen the splitts.

Additions under considderations : Stabb plate at the chest. flexible cutting board or leather closest to the boddy. making it a sandwich of 3 layers to the front.

Impressions: if using a heawy duty sewing machine, it's possible to do lovely quilting with about 1,5cm gapps. Ordinary machines are usable, but have a tendency to hate you after a while. Weight wise, they are realy heawy. dry out reasonably well (linnen al the way trough)
the pattern is Simmilar to the SPES jackets, but much longer and quilted to move more with the body -wich works surprisingly well.
Fencer on the left has incorporated a steel collar into his jacket simmilar a gorget, covering the front and sides of the throat.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby Thallian » 25 Dec 2014 14:48

Very nice! I'm liking the deep arm holes. The flexible cutting board as a chest guard is pure genius!
Thallian
Corporal

Postby mahmudamae » 06 Jan 2015 10:26

Hello, I am new to this forum. I like this forum. Yes V shape is good. Thanks
mahmudamae
Cadet

Previous

Return to General Historical Martial Arts