Lessons on the Thrust

Open to public view.

Lessons on the Thrust

Postby Reinier » 06 Nov 2014 14:02

It is my great pleasure to announce that within a few weeks, Keith Farrell's Fallen Rook will publish Lessons on the Thrust, containing my English translation of Jéann Daniel L'Ange's 1664 treatise on rapier fencing.

For more information, check:
https://www.facebook.com/LessonsontheThrust
…en A alſoo liggende kan aen B, ſonder eenigh beletſel, met de zijde van ſijn hooft, op het aengeſicht van B, ſoo veel ſtoten als hy begeert. – Nicolaes Petter, 1674.

http://www.bruchius.com/
List of publications
Reinier
Major

Re: Lessons on the Thrust

Postby MEversbergII » 06 Nov 2014 17:53

Rapier isn't in my zone, but I may well pick up a copy of this (and your other book) soon.

Good work!

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Postby KeithFarrell » 06 Nov 2014 18:43

I don't do rapier, but I think this book is really cool. It might be the inspiration I need to pick up the rapier at some point down the line...
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Carletto » 06 Nov 2014 21:01

Congratulations guys!
"Carlo is madder than tits on a Piranha" steel bonnet, Mar 25, 2010

I perfectly know my opinion is biased, but I like it that way
Carletto
Gentlegnome

Postby admin » 07 Nov 2014 11:58

Nice - good work :)
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Reinier » 10 Nov 2014 08:14

Thanks guys! :D
…en A alſoo liggende kan aen B, ſonder eenigh beletſel, met de zijde van ſijn hooft, op het aengeſicht van B, ſoo veel ſtoten als hy begeert. – Nicolaes Petter, 1674.

List of publications
Reinier
Major

Postby Lemonaid » 10 Nov 2014 17:14

Hi Reinier - firstly, congrats on this (and thanks for your general/regular output of translations; I particularly found the work concerning klewang of interest).

If a "non-rapierist would-be future-rapierist & non-beginner HEMA-ist" :lol: like me was to look around for a suitable system to pick up and get into oneself, it'd be nice to have a sense of why I might wish to look here instead of as opposed to other sources...

So I wanted to ask if it would be possible for you to give a real quick overview of what's distinct/characteristic of this system..?

Cheers,
Junaid
If you receive a hit while hitting your opponent your glory will be null as this would make you simultaneously victor and vanquished. Do not therefore share your victory with the opponent - and do not let him share his shame with you. -Manciolino
Lemonaid
Lieutenant

Postby Reinier » 11 Nov 2014 08:40

That is an excellent question, and I will do my best to give a good answer.
I have never looked at L'Ange from the point of view of a non-Rapierist, as I already had several years of rapier done when I first read this work.

That said,

I think that L'Ange could be an excellent treatise to get started on training rapier. He is concise, very clear, gives good descriptions of the actions, which are also illustrated very well, and has a logical structure. He presents his style through well-explained lessons that a beginner could practice to learn the movements and the tactical applications of the various techniques.

This is what Keith had to say about it:
This book provides a fascinating insight into the world of 17th century German rapier. Although I have undertaken very little study into this discipline, I feel that the book has a lot of value to offer me in terms of broadening my understanding of 17th century fencing arts. There are some similarities to other German martial arts that I did not expect to see, which intrigues me greatly. There are pieces of advice for using these skills in real combat situations - and some of them are quite surprising, although supported by L'Ange's personal experience. Reinier's translation has made this book very accessible, even to a longsword practitioner like myself.

Regarding the style of fencing,

L'Ange's treatise was published in 1664, and by then rapier fencing has changed relative to the more commonly studied style of 60 years earlier. The postures are more upright than shown in for instance Fabris, the blades were likely lighter, resulting in more blade actions (most likely contact in the bind, double feints, parry-riposte more prevalent etc), and in my interpretation, the style is strongly based on keep the hilt on, or almost on, the centre line. This allows a very strong minimalisation of movement, especially when compared to the (often very wide) parries etc we see practitioners of for instance Giganti make. So, yes, there are some differences with earlier work here.

All in all, I think this would definitely be a good book for a beginner to get started on, and I would love to see more people work with this later style of rapier fencing.

List of publications
Reinier
Major

Postby Reinier » 11 Nov 2014 08:41

And thanks for the compliments! It is always good to hear that work is enjoyed!

List of publications
Reinier
Major

Postby KeithFarrell » 12 Nov 2014 13:00

It is with joy that I can announce the publication of "Lessons on the Thrust" by Reinier van Noort. This is a really cool rapier treatise from 1664, so we managed to meet our target of re-publishing it exactly 350 years after it first appeared!

Pre-orders are now available through the Corsair's Wares online shop at the link below. A box of copies has been ordered, and as soon as it arrives, we will distribute the copies that have been reserved for people who have placed their pre-orders. Hopefully it will not be much more than a week or so until the books are printed, sent, and reach us in Glasgow.

http://www.corsairs-wares.com/martial-arts/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=84&products_id=1972
-- Keith Farrell --
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby KeithFarrell » 12 Nov 2014 15:45

Purpleheart Armoury will be carrying this title in the USA, and should receive stock in the next couple of weeks.
-- Keith Farrell --
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Lemonaid » 12 Nov 2014 16:01

Cheers for that overview Reinier..
(and nicely done Keith)

<insert thumbs-up smiley thingie>
Junaid
If you receive a hit while hitting your opponent your glory will be null as this would make you simultaneously victor and vanquished. Do not therefore share your victory with the opponent - and do not let him share his shame with you. -Manciolino
Lemonaid
Lieutenant

Postby MEversbergII » 14 Nov 2014 17:13

Bah! So many titles to catch up on! Rainier, Phil, Keith...truly exciting times!

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Return to General Historical Martial Arts