Marozzo

Open to public view.

Marozzo

Postby Motley » 31 Oct 2014 15:48

Does anyone know if there is a translation of Marozzo in the works? It seems to be one of the most influential sources historically but for some reason has never been translated well.

I ask as I would really like to work with it but I have had to accept that I will never have the time to actually learn Italian, as much as I would want to, I barely have enough time to practice HEMA at all these days. With being out of the loop for a while I wondered if any things had changed? There always seemed to be faint rumors but nothing concrete.
Dan Sellars
Context is everything
Motley
Lieutenant General

Re: Marozzo

Postby zarlor » 31 Oct 2014 16:51

I keep pushing several of the folks I know who've been working with it and done translations of other Italian sources, but for some reason none of them seem all that motivated to do it. I really don't understand the reticence considering as much influence as the work has had on everything these folks are doing otherwise. So to answer the question, as far as I know there is no translation in the works.:(
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

- Système d'Armes, New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.sdanola.com
zarlor
Lieutenant

Postby Motley » 31 Oct 2014 18:59

Thanks. I find it very strange too, we have multiple translations of some other lesser books but Marozzo is one of the pivotal texts to a whole style of fencing.

Given how popular it was for so long are there any historical translations of it?
Dan Sellars
Context is everything
Motley
Lieutenant General

Postby Thearos » 31 Oct 2014 19:37

I can't find any English translations in library catalogues (e.g. here

http://hollis.harvard.edu

or in French
Thearos
Colonel

Postby Michael Chidester » 31 Oct 2014 20:34

Not that I know of, no. Most of what I have is on Wiktenauer, but a lot of it is just in rough draft form.
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby zarlor » 03 Nov 2014 18:03

Agreed there are plenty of pieces of Marozza translated generally in rough draft form. Most of those are of just specific sections of the plays/assalti. I'm absolutely horrible with languages, unfortunately, so the very few attempts I've made are really, really bad (and definitely nothing published... this along with numerous attempts to learn Italian and German via classroom, texts and online classes, is what has convinced me my brain just isn't wired in a way to learn other languages very well at all, unfortunately. :() Thus my attempts to convince some of the translators and Bolognese practitioners I know to give us a complete translation.

You can try Ilkka's site for a lot of his interpretations of the plays at http://www.marozzo.com. Overall most of the main practitioners I know have more of a tendency to just work out the vocabulary of the plays and figure them out from there and don't seem to be particularly motivated to provide translations for publication... not yet anyway. I suggest if you do ever meet up with some folks like Piermarco Terminello, Ilkka Hartikainen, Stephen Reich or maybe even Tom Leoni that you pester the heck out of them to do it. ;)
Lenny Zimmermann

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with virtuous intention." - Pomponio Torelli, 1596.

- Système d'Armes, New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.sdanola.com
zarlor
Lieutenant

Postby Motley » 03 Nov 2014 19:17

Thanks for the replies. Wiktenauer is a great resource but I was hoping for something more complete.

I do keep reading Illkas site.

Ah well, thanks. If anyone does hear of anything...

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan Sellars
Context is everything
Motley
Lieutenant General

Postby Michael Chidester » 03 Nov 2014 22:46

Shoot me an email
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby Rob » 24 Nov 2014 18:06

Im working on the single sword. It's not a big piece, but I'll share it soon. Need to argue it through with Ilkka first.
'He is nothing to you.'
The Renaissance Sword Club
Rob
Sergeant

Postby Monzambano » 24 Nov 2014 22:45

Marozzo also has a large section on the laws and practices of war, would be interesting to compare with contemporaneous and later sources like Hugo Grotius...
The best revenge is living well
Monzambano
Lieutenant

Location: Bühler - formerly territory of the prince-abbot of St Gallen

Postby Michael Chidester » 25 Nov 2014 01:15

That material is largely a plagiarism of Paride del Pozzo.
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby Monzambano » 25 Nov 2014 08:42

Thanks!
The best revenge is living well
Monzambano
Lieutenant

Location: Bühler - formerly territory of the prince-abbot of St Gallen

Postby aurelcalonne » 26 Nov 2014 07:57

If you can read french, I've done it here for all books except the part on law and duel : http://reght.fr/travaux/traduction-de-l ... de-marozzo (btw some parts are still draft)

It's based on 1568 material, I'm now reviewing it with the 1536 version as there is some differences
aurelcalonne
Cadet

Return to General Historical Martial Arts