Medieval analog for George Silver

Open to public view.

Medieval analog for George Silver

Postby Fortinbras » 14 Apr 2014 16:31

Hi All,

I'm starting to put together a project for my undergraduate thesis and I wanted to do something related to George Silver and one of the medieval fencing masters. Silver claims to be the true inheritor of England's medieval martial tradition and I thought it would be interesting to compare some of his work to an actual medieval master.

I'm looking for recommendations for texts to compare him with. So far the best I've come up with is MS i.33 and Fiore dei Liberi's "Flower of Battle". I can see obvious problems with both of these options (not the least of which is Fiore is an Italian and Silver hated Italians) but I'm curious to see what some of the older hands think.

I'm still in the very early stages of putting this project together, so if anyone has any better ideas for a different approach (I'm trying to do something on medieval combat and would also like to work with George Silver but so far that's all I've really decided, and I'm only somewhat attached to George Silver) I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
Fortinbras
Cadet

Return to General Historical Martial Arts