The history of tent-pegging

Postby admin » 07 Apr 2014 07:57

http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Re: The history of tent-pegging

Postby Dave Long » 07 Apr 2014 10:10

Nice find. (note the picture —p.5 infra— of ladies' skill-at-arms, running at rings with a lance, riding sidesaddle and in a fancy hat!)
Dave Long
Staff Sergeant

Postby Sean M » 08 Apr 2014 17:52

Thanks Matt. I have not heard of anything like tentpegging in the ancient world, and wonder if one of the manuals from the Moslem world or some Sanskrit text mentions anything similar.
how could anyone resist becoming
part of what I thought you were?
Sean M
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Dave Long » 08 Apr 2014 23:51

Jensen's The Mamluk Lancer unfortunately doesn't translate the lance exercises. However, the bibliography looks promising. I have "La parure des cavaliers..." at hand, and while it doesn't specifically mention tent-pegging (the section specifically devoted to the lance only mentions tilting at rings), Appendix VI makes it sound like it, or something very similar, should be relatively easy to find in muslim sources:
p397 wrote:J'en retiens que les jeux de la bague, des anneaux posés par terre, en guise de têtes, des cibles de toute sorte, etc., étaient pratiqués couramment par les cavaliers réguliers des cours musulmanes

As for the ancient world: Arrian mentions that part of the Hippika Gymnasia (albeit with swords) was to imitate the action of killing a fallen enemy; if this were done with lance instead of sword you would get tent-pegging.
Dave Long
Staff Sergeant

Return to General Historical Martial Arts