"Ringeck Triathlon" at Loch Lomond 2014

Open to public view.

"Ringeck Triathlon" at Loch Lomond 2014

Postby KeithFarrell » 02 Mar 2014 21:59

At the upcoming AHA Loch Lomond 2014 camping event, I intend to run a triathlon contest for important skills for practitioners of German longsword: cutting, performance of sequences from the sources, and sparring. The format for the event is described online here: http://www.historical-academy.co.uk/events/loch-lomond/competition.php

I'm interested in any thoughts, comments or suggestions that people might have. My general thought process is that if you do not have edge alignment, you cannot do damage with your sword, therefore it is pointless to test any other skill while this most basic skill is undeveloped and flawed. Hence round 1.

If you do possess the skill of edge alignment, but you cannot demonstrate sequences from the sources, then you are not very good at "historical fencing" and need to improve your knowledge of the basic techniques and sequences. Hence round 2.

Only the eight people who can cut AND who can perform the sequences from the sources at a high level will be allowed to progress and participate in the sparring round. However, only ever practicing cutting and the sequences from the sources in a sterile or cooperative environment is not good enough, there has to be an uncooperative element to one's practice as well. Hence round 3.

Any monkey can do sparring, but only a well-trained historical fencer can cut with good edge alignment and can reproduce sequences from the sources in a skilful and convincing fashion while also performing well at sparring. This competition seeks to test how well people perform historical fencing and is not a slugfest or a brawling match for the unskilled.

So, anyone willing to offer constructive thoughts or suggestions for the event?
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: "Ringeck Triathlon" at Loch Lomond 2014

Postby Michael Chidester » 03 Mar 2014 05:11

You should compare notes with Corey Winslow of MEMAG, he's running the forms tournament at Longpoint this year (forms in the sense of specific devices from pseudo Peter von Danzig), and I believe already has a preliminary ruleset for it.
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 03 Mar 2014 09:52

Explanatory part on all stages.
Be able to constructively explain what they are doing, why they are doing it.

How are they cutting the target?
What teachings are they leaning on?
What was the exchange like, and what where the actions from your point of weiv?
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 03 Mar 2014 09:52

Explanatory part on all stages.

Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby KeithFarrell » 03 Mar 2014 10:36

Michael Chidester wrote:You should compare notes with Corey Winslow of MEMAG, he's running the forms tournament at Longpoint this year (forms in the sense of specific devices from pseudo Peter von Danzig), and I believe already has a preliminary ruleset for it.

Yup, already been in touch with him :) he sent me the rules he used at Shortpoint and I think it seems like an interesting system upon which to build.
-- Keith Farrell --
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby KeithFarrell » 03 Mar 2014 10:37

Magnus Hagelberg wrote:Explanatory part on all stages.

I like the idea, but I wonder if that might add significantly to the time that the competition would take to run. Certainly a skilled practitioner *should* be able to explain all of these things.
-- Keith Farrell --
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Mink » 03 Mar 2014 20:27

Interesting idea! It's funny how I could also make sense of any other order for the rounds :)

Do you expect many people to fail the first round? Without technical criteria it seems cutting a suspended bottle is not such a big challenge... Though I should perhaps try before saying that :) (I've cut other things though!)

Regards,
--
Vincent Le Chevalier
Ensis Sub Caelo
Mink
2nd Lieutenant

Postby KeithFarrell » 03 Mar 2014 21:34

Mink wrote:Interesting idea! It's funny how I could also make sense of any other order for the rounds :)

Do you expect many people to fail the first round? Without technical criteria it seems cutting a suspended bottle is not such a big challenge... Though I should perhaps try before saying that :) (I've cut other things though!)

Regards,

I hope most people will pass the first round. A milk bottle filled with water is probably one of the easiest targets for cutting - so if anyone fails, they can't blame it on not having practiced with tatami or whatever tougher medium before, they have to accept the blame fair and square for not having good edge alignment ;)
-- Keith Farrell --
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to General Historical Martial Arts