Private insurance?

Open to public view.

Private insurance?

Postby Thallian » 01 Feb 2014 00:00

Sorry if this is random but I was wondering if people have any experience with personal sports insurance for competitions, tournaments and such?

My dad in law takes out personal accident cover for when he goes racing. Not a a stupid idea, I thought.

Does such a thing exit for martial arts and combat sports? Something like day cover for one-day events? I don't intend to get injured any time soon but you never know...should be UK based as well.

Thoughts?
Thallian
Corporal

Re: Private insurance?

Postby Phil C » 01 Feb 2014 00:50

I've know people who have personal accident cover through DareDirect/SportCover and get very good service and payouts as agreed with no more than a medical note, however they have recently markedly changed their provision so I have no idea what they are like now.

I do know that we suggest (as far as financial law allows) personal accident cover over member-to-member insurance as it is more suited to the individual's needs, especially when one has members who earn vastly more than most others and or are self-employed and have consequently different issues around of loss of earnings through injury.
--Effete Snob--
"I have a sword to defend my honour. I have a stick to answer those without honour."

http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/
Phil C
Lieutenant General

Postby admin » 01 Feb 2014 08:44

The main three options seem to be SportsCover, AMA - Amateur Martial Association, BCA - British Combat Association and the BFHS's own insurance. Usually you have to be a member of an organised HEMA club to access any of these and your instructor will know the details. I have no idea what an independent individual's best route is.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Thallian » 01 Feb 2014 13:20

I'm with KDF. =) I believe we have public liability and member-to-member, though that wouldn't cover me if I go and spar at outside events.

I'll look up the companies you mentioned, thanks very much.
Thallian
Corporal

Postby Mark Lancaster » 01 Feb 2014 23:48

Check out SportsCover Direct for Personal Accident Cover. Search for Historical Fencing. It's more expensive than going through a group policy into one of the providers Matt mentioned, but then it's got the advantage that you can take cover as an individual.
Mark Lancaster
Staff Sergeant

Postby Thallian » 02 Feb 2014 00:56

That's quite helpful. Expensive as expected. :P

I also notice that the payouts for legal fees are nearly as high as the payouts for death. For the same money I could either get cremated...or hire a lawyer for an extended court case. ;-)
Thallian
Corporal

Postby Mearcstapa » 23 Apr 2014 10:02

Sportscover has a remarkably wide range of 'top-up activities' you can stick on, including:
- Historical Fencing
- Re-enactment
- Re-enactment with steel weapons
- Polo
- Jousting
- Mounted games
- Diverse other martial arts I've never even heard of.

Example 'add-on' packages for a 26-year-old male:
A - Three-day HEMA tournament in UK with £90 excess and up to £10,000,000 (yep!) Medical Expenses cover: £8
B - Same deal in Europe / USA: £13.52/£40.80
C - Three-day polo tournament in UK: £14.20

Cover for 1 year of Polo and HEMA at basic insurance level: £50
Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Return to General Historical Martial Arts