Do you do HEMA?

Open to public view.

Re: Do you do HEMA?

Postby Ridbadalous » 19 Feb 2013 13:32

I'm Rich, I started doing HEMA only a few months ago training with Dave Rawlings at one of his London Longsword Academy classes. I've been mainly learning longsword, but also some messer, dussack and dagger, and have been left in a state of happy confusion by all of them. Just when one thing starts to make sense something new comes along that breaks my mind a little bit. Enjoying it immensely though.
Rich

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best
Ridbadalous
Corporal

Postby scholadays » 19 Feb 2013 13:52

I recovered from HEMA and am now a functioning member of society. I am much better now. More productive. Comfortable. Not drinking too much. Eating well. Sleeping well. No bad dreams. No paranoia. At a better pace. Slower and more calculated. No chance of escape. Concerned. But powerless. An empowered and informed member of society. Pragmatism not idealism. Less chance of illness. No longer empty and frantic. Like a cat. Tied to a stick. Calm. Fitter, healthier and more productive. A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics.
A lot of knowledge can also be a dangerous thing - in the right hands.
scholadays
Field Marshal

Postby Colin F. » 19 Feb 2013 15:09

Hi I'm Colin. I am the lead instructor for SG6 in Bradford and I've been doing various different forms of HEMA since 2003 (ten years... Where did they go?)

We teach mainly longsword (German) and sabre (19th century British) with occasional forays into dagger and pole axe.

We train once a week, but life prevents me from doing it more often until the kid is more grown up and the job becomes less stressful.
SG6 - Bradford - Instructor

Those old masters taught fighting, we teach nothing but fencing nowadays. - Alfred Hutton, The Swordsman
Colin F.
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 19 Feb 2013 16:16

I'm Oz and I do HEMA.

I run the English Martial Arts Academy in Guildford, Surrey where we focus mainly on Backsword and Pugilism. We do a little sword and buckler/dagger, two handed sword, and quarterstaff as it fits within Silver's system which is the basis for our training.

I also have a bit of a personal obsession with traditional Lancashire Catch as Catch Can wrestling and try to do that whenever the opportunity arises. I'm hoping to become a passably competent wrestling coach eventually.
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts
Learn Classical Pugilism online!

"Oz deserves to be insulted as he was fairly sarcastic"
Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby Bulot » 19 Feb 2013 17:29

I'm Dok, and I train, study and teach in Montreal with Arte Dimicatoria. I am mostly doing Fiore, and bolognese school sidesword, but I like to throw in some XVIIth century wrestling when time allows it.
Bulot
Captain

Postby Rob » 19 Feb 2013 17:41

I'm Rob and I'm an instructor at the School of the Sword and am a member of De Taille et D'Estoc.

I study Bolognese sidesword (either single or with cloak or dagger) and Italian and French rapier styles (single, or with dagger or cloak). I have and will be teaching at a number of events and I'm also translating some French treatises with help from my friends in Dijon.

Most of my HEMA time is spent worrying how badly I suck at things.
'He is nothing to you.'
The Renaissance Sword Club
Rob
Sergeant

Postby Dave Long » 19 Feb 2013 18:12

Hi, I'm Dave, and my wife and I do something which, looking more or less like illustration 5 infra, probably counts much more as WMA than HEMA. (what would you all call it?)

We focus most of our training on modern horse sports and fencing, but enjoy combining the two from time to time, and hence are always happy to borrow techniques from traditions which involve some combination of riding, speed, antagonists, and weapons. ("Borrow" being somewhat euphemistic: on occasion, we've pursued historical sources down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new approaches.)

Dave Long
Staff Sergeant

Postby Motley » 19 Feb 2013 18:38

Hi I'm Dan and I do HEMA.

I train at Les Maitres d'Armes http://www.armizare.com/ in Ottawa twice a week. Occasionally I'll get together with some of my friends from other groups in the area for a meet up too. At LMA we study Fiore which I have been doing here and in another group for over 5 years now. On my own I study Bolognese sidesword, mainly dall'Agocchie. I have been very fascinated with it for a while now and from another art that I tried to resist it has fast become my main focus.

Dan.
Dan Sellars
Context is everything
Motley
Lieutenant General

Postby Lemonaid » 19 Feb 2013 18:48

Dave Long wrote:Hi, I'm Dave, and my wife and I do something which, looking more or less like illustration 5 infra, probably counts much more as WMA than HEMA. (what would you all call it?)

Oh, definitely HEMA.

(afterall, HEMA of course includes so much more than the usual medieval and renaissance arts than many might automatically think of when HEMA is talked about)

..and may I add that it's great there are at least few of you not only practicing it, but also posting on this forum.

(I'd personally love to be doing something along these lines also - although I realise that is probably a long way off as I'd only fairly recently started learning to ride.)

Best,
Junaid
SG1
If you receive a hit while hitting your opponent your glory will be null as this would make you simultaneously victor and vanquished. Do not therefore share your victory with the opponent - and do not let him share his shame with you. -Manciolino
Lemonaid
Lieutenant

Postby Gil-Galadh » 19 Feb 2013 19:41

Hey!
I'm Viktor and the last few months I've been doing HEMA mostly in my head - but will get back to real world activities - I can be found in Copenhagen. Apart from that - I've done a couple of years of Liechtenauer's Longsword, and after a recent period of confusion I'm settling on the bolognese sidesword for now and some saber in the future.
Last edited by Gil-Galadh on 20 Feb 2013 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Vicky Chudinova
Gil-Galadh
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Roland Warzecha » 19 Feb 2013 21:48

I'm Roland. I exclusively do sword & buckler these days: I.33 and German masters of the 15th century. I was head instructor at Hammaborg for many years and will start my own school DIMICATOR in a few weeks.
Roland Warzecha
Sergeant-Major

Postby Keith P. Myers » 20 Feb 2013 02:39

Greetings!

I'm Keith, and I've had the HEMA bug for a long time. I lead a small group called the Maryland Broadsword Academy just outside of Washington D.C. We are an affiliate of the Cateran Society and right now we are focusing on the fencing method of Sir William Hope. We have plans to affiliate with Hurstwic in the future and begin working on their version of the Viking Combat Method.
Keith P. Myers
Staff Sergeant

Postby Reinier » 20 Feb 2013 10:43

Hello,

I am Reinier van Noort and I have been doing HEMA since 2005. Currently, I am running the School voor Historische Schermkunsten. I teach and train Rapier from Bruchius's 1671 treatise once per week at our Wednesday evening sessions in Delft. I am also interested in other weapons and systems, though, and I am considering starting a second weekly training session to work on things like unarmed self-defense (focus on XVIIth century, hi Dok!), Sidesword, other cutty weapons like the Klewang, dagger or longsword (Vadi!).
…en A alſoo liggende kan aen B, ſonder eenigh beletſel, met de zijde van ſijn hooft, op het aengeſicht van B, ſoo veel ſtoten als hy begeert. – Nicolaes Petter, 1674.

http://www.bruchius.com/
List of publications
Reinier
Major

Postby The Salmon Lord » 20 Feb 2013 11:10

I have a totally arbitrary dislike for the acronym HEMA. But yes I do study and teach Historical Swordplay.

I have studied for 15 years all sorts of arts but have gradually honed it down to C19th Military Sabre of the British style and Scots-French Courtsword. I occasionally dabble in stick defence as well but its been a wee while.

I was for many years a member of the Dawn Duellists Society and basically ran it from 2003 to 2010 as Secretary then President. I went solo in 2009 with Black Boar Swordsmanship School then swiftly poached Phil to join me in running chapters in Edinburgh, Fife and now Cheshire (with the help of Dave). I teach and study twice a week plus do Saturday workshops and things at events.

I’m an OK fencer, mediocre researcher but believe my skills lie as an instructor and group administrator.

My greatest achievement is the invention of the “Macintyre evade” a most notorious technique of voidance by means of swiftly tucking in the belly and standing on tip toes. Available for workshops now.
President Black Boar, Cupar Original, HC
The Salmon Lord
Brigadier

Postby Dave Long » 20 Feb 2013 13:15

Lemonaid wrote:
Dave Long wrote:Hi, I'm Dave, and my wife and I do something which, looking more or less like illustration 5 infra, probably counts much more as WMA than HEMA.
(I'd personally love to be doing something along these lines also - although I realise that is probably a long way off as I'd only fairly recently started learning to ride.)
Maybe not as long as you might think; we agree with what de Coubertin wrote in his « Traité d'escrime équestre », Revue Olympique, Février 1906.
Coubertin (p.27) wrote:L'escrime équestre est un sport à la portée de tous ... elle perfectionne rapidement les talents du cavalier en lui permettant d'acquérir de l'assiette et en évitant que son attention ne se concentre exclusivement sur sa monture comme il arrive trop souvent.
"Mounted fencing is a sport accessible to all* ... it rapidly improves one's riding by improving the seat and keeping one's attention from being exclusively concentrated on the horse, as is too often the case."

* As aware as anyone of the olympic requirement for widespread adoption, Coubertin watered his proposed event down to fencing or boxing while riding side by side. I would say that riding as a means and not an end in itself helps everyone; my wife, being more experienced and less politically correct, maintains that while she can improve any guy's riding by giving him exercises, like swordplay, for which the riding is a necessary but not sufficient component, this doesn't work as well with all** women. So perhaps we should borrow HG Well's tongue-in-cheek subtitle: mounted fencing is "a game for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books"?

** for an example of those for whom it does work, cf Polocrosse Australia, eg 1:12 and 6:48.
Dave Long
Staff Sergeant

Postby MEversbergII » 20 Feb 2013 15:50

Keith P. Myers wrote:Greetings!

I'm Keith, and I've had the HEMA bug for a long time. I lead a small group called the Maryland Broadsword Academy just outside of Washington D.C. We are an affiliate of the Cateran Society and right now we are focusing on the fencing method of Sir William Hope. We have plans to affiliate with Hurstwic in the future and begin working on their version of the Viking Combat Method.

Rockville if I remember; found your YouTube page a few weeks ago. Good stuff.

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Postby Derek Wassom » 20 Feb 2013 17:40

My name is Derek Wassom and I've been practicing HEMA since the early 2000s. I'm currently running a small club in Fribourg, Switzerland called the Luegisland Scholars. Our primary focus has been longsword and dagger, but we're currently expanding our curriculum.
Regards,
Derek Wassom
Luegisland Scholar
Derek Wassom
Staff Sergeant

Postby Carletto » 21 Feb 2013 14:19

I am Carlo, I do hema with a bunch of friends. I teach The sabre, the backsword, the spada da lato, dagger, spear and soon an eclectic style of smallsword, in my school it mandatory that students learn the basics of pistol shooting in the old duelling style as well.
"Carlo is madder than tits on a Piranha" steel bonnet, Mar 25, 2010

I perfectly know my opinion is biased, but I like it that way
Carletto
Gentlegnome

Postby TyHar7 » 21 Feb 2013 14:56

Hi, I'm Ty and I've been hooked on HEMA since I started 2 years ago.

I train at Schola Gladiotoria in Ealing weekly. My main focus is Fiore Longsword, but keenly developing on other area's of his treatise. Also do 19th C Sabre and Italian Sword and Buckler.
"Right lads, its quite simple; we form a circle around the enemy and then fire!"

Ty "DeathEnder" Harris
TyHar7
Sergeant-Major

Postby Oli Barker » 21 Feb 2013 15:06

I'm Oli and I've been a member of the School of the Sword since 2004, which makes me the longest standing current member other than Caz, the founder. As Rob mentioned, we study 16th C Bolognese swordsmanship and 17th C Italian rapier. I have also been playing with Alfieri's spadone text, though at present fatherhood and work are greatly curtailing the time I have available for training and research.
Oli Barker
Brigadier

PreviousNext

Return to General Historical Martial Arts