Do you do HEMA?

Open to public view.

Re: Do you do HEMA?

Postby peterdk » 27 Feb 2013 19:06

i find it amusing that you people on the british island, still cant own up to the fact that allmost all of you are just a sexual byproduct of scandinavian powershopping from 600-1100 ad, honestly you are sort of second class nordic which is no shame at all. :wink:

best

peter
Laurentiusgildet East Denmark
UT DESINT VIRES, TAMEN EST LAUDATA VOLUNTA
peterdk
Corporal

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 27 Feb 2013 20:30

peterdk wrote:i find it amusing that you people on the british island, still cant own up to the fact that allmost all of you are just a sexual byproduct of scandinavian powershopping from 600-1100 ad, honestly you are sort of second class nordic which is no shame at all. :wink:

best

peter

We're not second class Nordic. We're the direct descendants of the Vikings, you're just a farmer who stayed behind.
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts
Learn Classical Pugilism online!

"Oz deserves to be insulted as he was fairly sarcastic"
Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby admin » 28 Feb 2013 11:41

Cutlery Penguin wrote:We're not second class Nordic. We're the direct descendants of the Vikings, you're just a farmer who stayed behind.

QFT.
All the most manly and successful Scandinavians left Scandinavia, which is probably why the world ended up ruled by 'les Anglo-Saxons' and the Russians. :P
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby peterdk » 01 Mar 2013 16:41

right guy's
except when we were done powershopping we went home again...... well untill next spring, and then we came back or had fun in france, russia ahh well most of europe and beyond.

first spring day in denmark, and the sun is out melting all the white stuff that has been here since november, i actually had a perfect day sitting leaned against a wall with a beer in hand and a smoke in the other feeling warm for the first time in several months :)

best

peter
Laurentiusgildet East Denmark
UT DESINT VIRES, TAMEN EST LAUDATA VOLUNTA
peterdk
Corporal

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 01 Mar 2013 22:50

peterdk wrote:right guy's
except when we were done powershopping we went home again...... well untill next spring, and then we came back or had fun in france, russia ahh well most of europe and beyond.

Is that what they tell you in Denmark?
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts
Learn Classical Pugilism online!

"Oz deserves to be insulted as he was fairly sarcastic"
Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby Angantyr » 02 Mar 2013 10:53

(getting back on track)

Hi I'm Marius. A proud fightingpenguin at Oslo KdF, and also the one in charge of running the training.
Training KdF 3 times a week, 40/60 wrestling and longsword, here in Oslo the only big village in Norway.

Other than that I am a martial arts nut, just went to Judo from Submission Wrestling as I got tired of hugging the floor all the time. And my Girlfriend is a boxer (the puncy type, not the woof-woof) so we regularly warm up for weight lifting with a bit of bare knuckle. Would love to get some catchwrestling in... some day...
-Thrower of people and kamppingvin (fighterpenguin) at Oslo KdF
-Blood and cake!

www.oslokdf.no
Angantyr
Captain

Postby CPenney » 04 Mar 2013 02:07

Hi, I'm Chris. I've been studying Fiore since 2001 (with some unfortunate breaks now and then). Since my wife works evenings I haven't been able to train regularly for a few years, but I used to teach with our group here in Ottawa (the practically defunct Ottawa School of Medieval Armed Combat). Since I don't get to swing a sword (or axe, or spear) as much as I'd like to), I come here to talk swords.
Chris Penney
Ottawa Medieval Sword Guild
CPenney
Staff Sergeant

Postby darthturtle » 12 Feb 2014 07:52

Hi, I'm Jonathan. I live in Taiwan.

In general, HEMA is very obscure in Asia. I'd like to actually pick up a sword and do HEMA, but I'll probably have to do it solo.
darthturtle
Cadet

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 12 Feb 2014 14:47

Hi Jonathan,

At the moment I'm aware of two groups - relatively - close to Taiwan:
PHEMAS (Singapore): https://www.facebook.com/pages/PHEMAS/331555660211044
RSW (Hong Kong): just search "Realistic sparring weapons"

Also at this forum there was another guy (nickname: Huang chun-yi) from Taiwan: Help me....
Just try to send him a personal message (it seems he has visited this forum today).

Best of luck with your HEMA studies!
Emil Barta
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Postby Thearos » 12 Feb 2014 15:34

The only question is where to start-- medieval, early modern, or C19th ?
Thearos
Colonel

Postby Chris H » 12 Feb 2014 18:04

I'm Chris. I studied with the SSS for a short while before deciding that rapier wasn't my cup of tea. I'm currently of student of Bob Brooks at the Hotspur School of Defence, and I run our own local chapter of the school here in York. We primarily study medieval weapons and techniques from the rough period 1300-1500 starting with longsword and messer and progressing to dagger, wrestling, polearms, spear, and quarterstaff.
Chris H
Private

Postby Turmine » 17 Feb 2014 06:13

Cutlery Penguin wrote:We're not second class Nordic. We're the direct descendants of the Vikings, you're just a farmer who stayed behind.

As a man with Danish Viking heritage dating back to the times of the Danelaw, I can't tell you how many times I have said the exact same thing! Yes, the people that stayed IN Scandinavia were farmers, not Vikings - the people that largely settled, raided and stayed in England, Ireland, Iceland, Faroes and Scotlands outlying islands - were Vikings. A Viking is something you did, it was an occupation, not a race of people.

And there we are, my favourite way of entering a room and making friends is to start an argument ...

Greetings,

I am Turmine, you don't know me but I know all of you ... yes I practice the various systems of our European birthright and Martial heritage. My journey started back in 1982 when as a 10 year old I became a member of the Essex branch of the English Civil War Society - that was really when I started paying attention to what we now call HEMA. This was the turning point, my eureka moment which turned my boyish mind from the distractions of the Beano and trying to skive enough money to buy Airfix kits of Spitfires and Hurricanes.

I've had a couple years in Sport Fencing where I served as Armorer and a committee member, I now train with the Stoccata School of Defense in Sydney Australia with a focus on Silver, Highland Broadsword, Ledall English Longsword, Q'staff, Bolognese and 1.33 et al. I'm a Renaissance man trapped inside the body of a Viking/Saxon and I love long marches along the beach. If we met in person I would thrust a horn of mead into your hand and a chunk of Yorkshire pudding into your mouth and we'd be fast friends from there after.

Remember that name ... Turmine, it could come in handy.
Turmine
Corporal

Previous

Return to General Historical Martial Arts