Do you do HEMA?

Open to public view.

Do you do HEMA?

Postby admin » 18 Feb 2013 16:55

If so, where do you do it?

I am Matt, and I train at Schola Gladiatoria in Ealing, West London. I also appear at the English Martial Arts Academy in Guildford, Surrey, sometimes.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Re: Do you do HEMA?

Postby Lemonaid » 18 Feb 2013 17:15

I am Junaid, and I train at Schola Gladiatoria in Ealing, West London.
I also get together with others who can make it for occasional informal sparring sessions during the weekend, usually somewhere in the Eastcote/Ruislip/Pinner area in Harrow, north-west London (and am on the lookout for a good local venue, any recommendations etc please pm..)
If you receive a hit while hitting your opponent your glory will be null as this would make you simultaneously victor and vanquished. Do not therefore share your victory with the opponent - and do not let him share his shame with you. -Manciolino
Lemonaid
Lieutenant

Postby MEversbergII » 18 Feb 2013 17:27

I'm Mike, and I run the Southern Maryland Warband out of St. Mary's County.

Far as I can tell, we're the only HEMA group between here and Baltimore.

As yet, we're not associated with any other groups.

At the moment, our focus is on daggers and knives in both the Italian and German sources.

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Postby Dave B » 18 Feb 2013 17:52

I'm Dave, I help run the Cheshire Chapter of the Black Boar school of swordsmanship. We do early Courstsword/Smallsword in Cheshire, and will probably start another weapon in the coming months.

I also do some stuff on the borders between HEMA and reenactment, third person demonstrations and talks to the public, based on sources, but in costume.
Dave B
Major

Postby Chiron » 18 Feb 2013 18:42

I am Jack Gassmann I train at Artes Certaminis based in a small alpine village perched upon a mountain top looking out upon the realms of men*... we train longsword and dagger, I also just picked up rapier.

*My favorite pastime is to point and laugh when one of you picks your nose.
nay king, nay quin we willnae be fooled again!
Terry pratchet, the wee free men:
Chiron
Lieutenant

Postby Phil C » 18 Feb 2013 20:01

I'm Phil. I teach for the Black Boar School of Swordsmanship in Edinburgh and Fife, as well as national gatherings. Mainly sabre, smallsword and cane with a bit of knife, but if it's French and C18/9th I've an interest in it (this week it's firearms and polearms).

I also have an occasional "half-life" where I do costumed lectures and demonstrations on historical weaponry and techniques which is neither true re-enactment nor true HEMA.
--Effete Snob--
"I have a sword to defend my honour. I have a stick to answer those without honour."

http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/
Phil C
Lieutenant General

Postby the_last_alive » 18 Feb 2013 22:03

Hi, I'm Martin and I'm an addict. Oh, wrong meeting. :)

I train at Schola Gladiatoria in Ealing weekly, occasional trips down to English Martial Arts Academy, and other outside practices in the Hillingdon/Uxbridge/Ealing area as well as Guildford.

Main focuses are 19thC Sabre and Manciolino's Sword and Buckler, with a sideline in Submission Wrestling (which I need to spend more time doing).
Martin Wilkinson
King Slayer
Intelligent Belligerent - I'll throw a jug of ale in your face, and kick you in the testicles.
"Short, broad, lots of hair, disturbingly keen on violence."
the_last_alive
General

Postby Stuart Peers » 19 Feb 2013 00:38

I'm Stuart & I run the Bon Accord Historical Fencers group in Aberdeenshire studying MS I.33
Bon Accord Historical Fencers
"He (Liechtenauer) also means that you should not step straight in with the blows, but from the side at an angle so that you come in from the side where you can reach him easier than from the front." - Doebringer
Stuart Peers
Private

Postby Andreas Engström » 19 Feb 2013 09:33

I certainly do, though I nowadays have less time for it than I would wish.

I run the training group for Swedish military sabre in Gothenburg Historical Fencing School (GHFS) twice a week. I would love to have the time to train and teach longsword again like I used to, but that will have to wait until the kids have grown older.

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 19 Feb 2013 09:48

My name is Magnus Hagelberg.

I am with Skaraborgs historical fencing school; Skövde och Skara in Sweden. (2h from gothenburg 3,5h from stockholm)
We train once a week focusing on Meyer(longsword, dagger mainly atm.) and Swedish millitary sabre.
I also dabble with I:33 Walpurgis manuscript occasionally.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby Harry » 19 Feb 2013 09:57

HI everbody, I am Harry and I am having a HEMA problem here in Vienna :D :D
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby KeithFarrell » 19 Feb 2013 10:57

My name is Keith Farrell, and I do HEMA. I run the Academy of Historical Arts, teaching at and generally overseeing about four clubs in Glasgow. My main discipline is medieval German longsword, followed by 18th century Scottish broadsword. I dable with Lignitzer's sword and buckler and also 17th century Polish sabre. I run several HEMA events in Scotland every year and am currently trying to work out how to attract more visitors from south of the border :P
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hotspur School » 19 Feb 2013 11:06

Hi, I'm Bob and I've studied HEMA since 1994. Since 2003 I've run the Hotspur School of Defence, which now has four chapters across Northern England and the Scottish Borders - Alnwick, Newcastle, Consett and Jedburgh - training every week. We study a corpus of arms dating from the C15th including longsword, messer, dagger, pollaxe, spear, glaive and wrestling, from various contemporary German and Italian sources. I also occasionally teach Highland broadsword/backsword.
Bob Brooks
HSD

"Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip ..." Patrick Bateman.
Hotspur School
Captain

Postby MauriceBooij » 19 Feb 2013 11:44

Hi, I'm Maurice and I do HEMA, which in my case has proven highly addictive.

I train at MARS - Fight school for medieval martial arts North-Netherlands, in Groningen (as you might've guessed, in the north of the Netherlands), where focus lies on German Longsword, Ringen and some daggerplay.

Aside from training there, I try and fulfill my duties as chairman to the best of my abilities and I'm known to fill in for our head instructor every now and again, teaching classes (or parts thereof) in our beginners group.

I'd say my forte lies in unarmed and knife/dagger combat, due to my experience in other martial arts, but I must say Longsword comes to me somewhat naturally, and thusly hope to reach my full potential therein one day as well.
Consilio et Animis

http://www.mars-swordfighting.com

MARS Facebook http://goo.gl/JgPrs

Inveniam viam aut faciam!
MauriceBooij
Private

Postby craftyfighter » 19 Feb 2013 11:48

Hi I'm Johann...I do HEMA, and I train with a motley group of reprobates and ne'er do wells on Hampstead Heath.
The Former Glorious leader of The Iron Door Collective
http://www.swordfightexeter.org/
craftyfighter
Major General

Postby Joeli » 19 Feb 2013 11:57

I'm Joeli and I train HEMA in Helsinki, Finland. I'm trying to figure out Lecküchner's messer in a group called Grieswartt, located smack in the city centre. We have three classes per week, concentrating on ringen, dagger and messer. Onece per month I run a club that presents and collates trascription and translation work from a single source. Once a week I travel to the outskirts to wrestle in Espoo Association for Historical Fencing. I also train Liechtenauer longsword in a public gym few times a week (even in the mornings if that's the only possible time slot) with a group of friends from three different schools in Helsinki area.
Joeli
2nd Lieutenant

Postby admin » 19 Feb 2013 12:11

MauriceBooij wrote:I train at MARS - Fight school for medieval martial arts North-Netherlands

I love your logo. 8)
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Jacob_Lee » 19 Feb 2013 12:43

I am Jacob J.H. Lee and I train at Schola Gladiatoria SG1 in Ealing Common every week.

Currently doesn't train outside the weekly sessions, but does live in Uxbridge.
Jacob_Lee
Corporal

Postby MauriceBooij » 19 Feb 2013 12:46

admin wrote:
MauriceBooij wrote:I train at MARS - Fight school for medieval martial arts North-Netherlands

I love your logo. 8)

Makes two of us :lol:
And thanks, I'll let our designer/photographer/webdesigner/head or PR know xD

It's actually a modern take on (and perhaps slightly more aggressive version of) the 15th century coat of arms of the city of Groningen; http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... apen_2.svg
Consilio et Animis

http://www.mars-swordfighting.com

MARS Facebook http://goo.gl/JgPrs

Inveniam viam aut faciam!
MauriceBooij
Private

Postby Stevie T » 19 Feb 2013 13:05

Hi, I'm Steve Thurston,

I run Dragon's Tayle; studying English Longsword in Darlington, train Silver's backsword with a local club, and try to get to York to study Meyer with the Frei Fechter when I can. I studied a bit of rapier for a while with the SSS under Mark Donnelly.
Stevie T
Field Marshal

Next

Return to General Historical Martial Arts