Stuttgart

Open to public view.

Stuttgart

Postby Matclarke » 07 Sep 2006 10:19

Anyone know of anyone studying HEMA in Stuttgart? I'll be there for 6 weeks between Jan-Feb 07 and would love to get some training in.

or drinking.
Matclarke
Colonel

Postby Wolfgang Ritter » 08 Sep 2006 12:10

Hi Matt,
I'm sorry, but AFAIK Stuttgart seems to be a bit of a desert region for HEMA in Germany.
There is a group called "Galdiatores" training in Karlsruhe which is about 75 km north-west of Stuttgart. This is their homepage:
http://www.gladiatores.de They belong to a school founded by slovakian fencer Petr Coza. They use the historic manuals - mainly Liechtenauer - but with sometimes a bit questionable approach. Although I differ with some of their interpretation and assumptions about the treatises, I have met at least some of that school and they were nice and funny guys. Another school is in Rottenberg, ca. 55 km south of Stuttgart: http://www.lebendigeschwertkunst.de/index.htm but again: I know some of the members personally and they were quite okay and friendly guys. I have some stronger reservations against the style their practising, it seems way to far away from recreating the original style from the manuals.
Those are the nearest places to Stuttgart I know of....with a bit of a headache.....not really tormenting pain, but ......ah, you know....
All the good training groups/companies/schools I know of, are a bit way off (at least 200 km) Stuttgart. That is of course for an european, this distance might be like the neighbor's next door for an australian
What style are you looking for and are you mobile?

Greetings,
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Ritter
Captain

Postby Matclarke » 08 Sep 2006 13:00

Hi Wolfgang,
Cheers for the info. I'm not sure how mobile I'll be, nor how much free time I'll have.
Any style would appeal to me, but I'm currently looking at the Liechtenauer stuff.
Meyer is calling to me though...

Typical though, finally get to Germany, but to a city with no HEMA! Maybe I'll have to take matters into my own hands...
Matclarke
Colonel

Postby Wolfgang Ritter » 08 Sep 2006 13:19

Hi Matt,
I'm training with Zornhau in Offenbach (near Frankfurt/Main), that's something like 220 km from Stuttgart.
We are training Liechtenauer lineage manily with longsword, dagger and wrestling and a little sword & buckler after I.33.
Feel free to contact me via pm and we'll see if we get together, it's about 2.30 hours drive by car from Stuttgart (or to Stuttgart)...I don't know if members of some of the other german groups are lurking around here, but you should try to get in contact with them. Best thing would be to check the german links on http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/links/
Cheers
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Ritter
Captain

Postby Matclarke » 11 Sep 2006 09:34

Hi,
I'll contact you when I get some more info on my activities.
Matclarke
Colonel

Return to General Historical Martial Arts