Gripping the longsword

Open to public view.

Postby Carlo » 31 Aug 2006 11:08

I forgot to mention that I don't grip the pommel because I prefer the kind of sword with parallel edges and disk pommel.

Cap
Carlo
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Matclarke » 31 Aug 2006 11:21

I have 2 swords; one with a scent stopper, another with a wheel pommel. I grip the scent stopper and I don't grip the wheel pommel. I find the wheel too uncomfortable.

just my 2 cents, everything else I was going to say/ask has been covered.
Matclarke
Colonel

Postby scholadays » 31 Aug 2006 14:38

Kanzi the bonobo wrote:I have 2 swords; one with a scent stopper, another with a wheel pommel. I grip the scent stopper and I don't grip the wheel pommel. I find the wheel too uncomfortable.

I too have long found the wheel pommel somewhat uncomfortable and have always wondered why such a pommel would be popular. When gripping the weapon firmly it does so dig into my hand and is hard to grip particularly hard.

However, rather than grip the weapon firmly with both hands, ever since I started wielding the weapon primarily in one hand and only assisting with the other I've found the wheel pommel far less of a hinderance.

In fact it's great big round flatness does rather seem to help me locate it once again when I need two hands one the weapon.

This makes me muse somewhat about how I should be wielding the weapon altogether.
A lot of knowledge can also be a dangerous thing - in the right hands.
scholadays
Field Marshal

Postby Paul B » 03 Sep 2006 22:40

I worked with the Paul Chen hand-and-a-half sword, and found the wheel pommel uncomfortable at first, but after a wile, I just got used to it.
I found that my grip was a lot more fluid on that sword that when I used the clubs del tins, which have a fig pommel.
.... or I could be completely wrong.

Paul Bennett SG6 - Bradford (Won/Lost/Played) 0/1/1
Carpentry and wooden weapons:
http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Paul B
Got Wood

Previous

Return to General Historical Martial Arts