Boxing, Kicking in WMA

Open to public view.

Postby Monster Zero » 23 Aug 2006 16:22

Neither closed Fist or Open Hand strikes are superior to one another. Each is a tool with a proper time and a proper use.
Image
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 1/4/5/?)
Mostly Harmless...
User avatar
Monster Zero
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 16618
Joined: 17 Mar 2006 17:53
Location: Hamilton, NJ

Postby Carlo » 23 Aug 2006 16:29

Mario said: The problem with that, of course, is that you say you keep missing the head with your punches.


No, he doesn't. I've been knocked down by James and that has been the only one time in my years of wma that I've been knocked down for something well done, and not for something absurd.

Cap
User avatar
Carlo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: 18 Mar 2006 21:58
Location: Italy

Postby J Marwood » 23 Aug 2006 16:41

Monster Zero wrote:Neither closed Fist or Open Hand strikes are superior to one another. Each is a tool with a proper time and a proper use.


I guess so - I am just of the opinion that closed hand strikes offer me less than open handed ones and so that is what I train.

I know (and have been punched by) enough excellent punchers to know this is not the case for everyone. It is also true that, under pressure, I tend to revert to punching anyway, depite my training - but more drilling will change this!

Carlo wrote:
No, he doesn't. I've been knocked down by James and that has been the only one time in my years of wma that I've been knocked down for something well done, and not for something absurd.

Cap


It would have been a good punch if I hadn't lost my footing after it ;)
User avatar
J Marwood
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 10560
Joined: 14 Mar 2006 15:45
Location: Laahndan

Postby Jon Barber » 23 Aug 2006 22:19

J Marwood wrote:
Monster Zero wrote:Neither closed Fist or Open Hand strikes are superior to one another. Each is a tool with a proper time and a proper use.


I guess so - I am just of the opinion that closed hand strikes offer me less than open handed ones and so that is what I train.


That's the suck part of it - not having time to train everything equally. My punching is only OK because I spent much, much time practicing it while training a primarily striking art (and my kicking was never very good because I focused on punches, being that they were more effective for me and so now my kicking ability is pure crap).
Who you think done that, the F*&% You Up Fairy?
User avatar
Jon Barber
Major
 
Posts: 981
Joined: 06 Jun 2006 01:48

Postby Stunt Weasel » 24 Aug 2006 00:13

Monster Zero wrote:Neither closed Fist or Open Hand strikes are superior to one another. Each is a tool with a proper time and a proper use.

Precisely so.

Mario
Stunt Weasel
 

Postby Carlo » 24 Aug 2006 19:28

James said: It would have been a good punch if I hadn't lost my footing after it


Compared to the *leapses of reason* that caused my other knockouts, yours remains a work of art.
One, for instance, thrusted into my eyeball even if I didn't have a mask. Thankfully, I had padded the point.

Cap
User avatar
Carlo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: 18 Mar 2006 21:58
Location: Italy

Previous

Return to General Historical Martial Arts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests