Treatise database

The practice of martial arts, research, interpretation and modern practice. Ancient to c.1900. Worldwide, Eastern and Western.
Open to public view.

Treatise database

Postby admin » 22 Mar 2010 12:50

Gábor Erényi says on the HEMAC mailing list:

Also, our new version of the treatise database is now online:

http://www.middleages.hu/english/martia ... tabase.php

I would like to thank Matt Easton and Lionel for their valuable suggestions (back in last May when the work on the new version begun). Although not in this mailing list, credit should be given also to Charles Blair from Chicago Swordplay Guild, who contributed a lot of ideas (and some entries), too.

There are numerous improvements from the last version, listing all of them would make this mail way too long, so I would just point out the two most important ones:

The search engine is much more sophisticated and faster at the same time, allowing complex and more throughout searches
The database can be edited online by registered contributors. All HEMAC members are welcome to register. To register, simply drop a mail (directly to me or to this mailing list) with your full name and group name saying that you want to register.

Registering will allow you to:

· recieve notifications about the changes in the database (if you turn this option on in your profile)

· create new entries

· add links to treatises available online

· add links to your (or some else’s) transcription, translation or interpretation of a treatise

· edit or write a description for a treatise

· add comments to a treatise and discuss it online with other registered members

· add and edit various other data to the treatise (upload images, add alternative spellings for the author and title, manuscript numbers, published versions, locations, weapons, topics, etc. etc.)

· register your group (or yourself) as a group working with the treatise enabling like-minded groups to contact each other

· create a profile for your group and see the profiles of the other groups, allowing you to contact each other

· edit the accessibility data (webpage, address, contact person, contact email, etc.) for libraries, museums and other locations where treatises are to be found

Notes:

Please note that this version is brand new and has just been made public, so errors still can occur in the engine as well as the data. I also know that there are a lot of duplicated entries and by the nature of community sites and the database having currently almost 1500 entries, some data may be wrong. If you are a registered contributor, you can simply correct it or notify me and I will correct it for you.
All changes are logged, so we know what you do! J
All data in the database is based on information publicly available in the internet or the result of the contributors’ own research. If you don’t want data you believe you own to be made public (for example a link to your translation) and it appears in the database, just indicate it to me, or if you are a registered contributor, simply remove it.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Re: Treatise database

Postby Bulot » 22 Mar 2010 13:10

That is quite an impressive and useful work. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Bulot
Captain

Postby KeithFarrell » 02 Aug 2010 17:16

Is registering for this database an option available only to HEMAC members, or can other interested parties register and offer their help? I am very interested in helping with development of this resource, and as one of the senior instructors of the Academy of Historical Arts I would like to have the chance to work with some of the HEMAC people since I have a great respect for their knowledge and skills.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby admin » 02 Aug 2010 17:23

Hi Keith, I think it is open but am not entirely sure - you'd be best dropping an email to Gabor.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby KeithFarrell » 02 Aug 2010 18:15

Could you please give me his email address then? I cannot find it anywhere on the database page or anywhere on the SAGA website. If you would rather not post the email address here for the world to see, could you PM it to me so that I may contact him? Thanks.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Carletto » 02 Aug 2010 18:39

Wow, thanks!
"Carlo is madder than tits on a Piranha" steel bonnet, Mar 25, 2010

I perfectly know my opinion is biased, but I like it that way
Carletto
Gentlegnome

Postby Angantyr » 04 Aug 2010 15:26

I like it! And so does my friends.
-Thrower of people and kamppingvin (fighterpenguin) at Oslo KdF
-Blood and cake!

www.oslokdf.no
Angantyr
Captain

Postby Turmine » 22 Jul 2013 20:46

Amazing resource and a vitally important one for our community, I have used it liberally for my own research and can't thank you enough!

Best, Turmine.
Turmine
Corporal

Postby Mikarmatura » 18 Dec 2017 12:59

Last month, I have make many updates.
Actually in december 2017, we have 2567 references.
:D
Mikarmatura
Private

Return to Historical Martial Arts