New plastic waisters.

Open to public view.

New plastic waisters.

Postby Martin Wallgren » 23 Nov 2009 20:15

Some info!

When we thought of the idea to have a M10 steelbar as the core of it we where somewhat afraid it wouldn´t hold in the juction between the bar and the plastic blade, the steel is inserted about 10 cm into it, but after intence banging of them togheter as a test they seem to hold up for the abuse. They have a distal taper of 22 mm to 14 mm. The PoB is about 7 cm from the cross towards the tip.
The constructon have two obvious perks, the first is that our CNC is able to do the blade ;), the other is that there will be alternatives in blades, crossguards, handles and pommels. all of the intechangeble so you can kind of semi-customise your waister. Another good thing is that it will fit into a box under one metre of length and will be cheaper to ship.

We have made a shinaish version ov them also where the blade is perforated in the tip with a 25 cm slit. This is worthless as a waister but slightly better than a wighted shinai. As we made them as a test we will keep them for newbees to use the firts times they sparr as they lessen the impact alot but the tips become to whippy in all directions. I don´t recomend the slit. (just now Johan who is the maker is experimenting with some rubber filling or something in the slit but I´m not convinced it will work)

The whole production is on a hobbie basis still so we are not professionals if there so production might be a little slow for now. If they work we plan to by a bigger CNC so we can make better stuff.

There is more pictures of them on my Facebook here!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 114&ref=mf
Last edited by Martin Wallgren on 24 Nov 2009 21:28, edited 2 times in total.
Martin Wallgren
Major

Re: New plastic waisters.

Postby Martin Wallgren » 24 Nov 2009 15:07

Picture...

Martin Wallgren
Major

Postby Dangermouse » 25 Nov 2009 11:05

They look familiar.........
Bryan

E.H.C.G Conwy
The Knight Shop Intl. Ltd.

Buried in each man's soul lies the noble spark that will make a hero of him - when the fateful moment arrives, it will leap up like a flame and illuminate great deeds. - Tolstoy
Dangermouse
Captain

Postby Martin Wallgren » 25 Nov 2009 14:57

Dangermouse wrote:They look familiar.........

What do you mean? They are supposed to simulate an Albion Liechtenauer.
Martin Wallgren
Major

Postby admin » 25 Nov 2009 15:18

Dangermouse is suggesting that they look very similar to the Knight Shop nylon swords.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Stevie T » 25 Nov 2009 15:40

I think it's fare to say that if two indipendant groups have developed a very similar nylon trainer than it's very likely that we're onto a winning design for us all.
Stevie T
Field Marshal

Postby Martin Wallgren » 25 Nov 2009 16:01

Ah! I see... didn´t read the tagline on his signature.

Well yes and no! I have only seen pictures of the Knightshop waister and it was the old one I belive. It was more than a year ago. IRL I have not handled theirs. We have tested a few of the others out there (spanish, GHFS, a couple of homemade) and found this to be a satisfying look. Though Is the construction method similar? For example we had alot of trouble to make a smart and easy fixation for the material in our CnC but in the end we made a good vacuum holder that worked. In that case we are more than happy to share our trials and errors with Dangermouse too help out, the better waisters out there, the better oppertunitys for fighters to train in a good way.
Martin Wallgren
Major

Postby Axel » 28 Nov 2009 12:47

well, yours does look very, very similar to ours, as you know, and we are perfectly fine with that.
Swiftly and with style

http://iamafencer.tumblr.com/

Fäktning, kampsport och riktigt bra träning i Göteborg
Axel
Major

Postby Dangermouse » 28 Nov 2009 13:53

Stevie T wrote:I think it's fare to say that if two indipendant groups have developed a very similar nylon trainer than it's very likely that we're onto a winning design for us all.

I think that is a good analogy :D

Sorry for not responding sooner (been on holiday and could only get online in starbucks!).

There are a lot of very similiar concepts shared on both designs - such as interchangeable guards & pommels and the use of a steel thread.

The research for our range was done months ago through the schola forum (about 15 pages of it) and it doesn't come as a surprise that somebody has come up with a similiar concept.

Having said that - although certain concepts are similar, there are still a lot of differences both in style and production methods.

No problems btw - I see it as a good sign that both parties seem to be on the right track :D
Bryan

E.H.C.G Conwy

Buried in each man's soul lies the noble spark that will make a hero of him - when the fateful moment arrives, it will leap up like a flame and illuminate great deeds. - Tolstoy
Dangermouse
Captain

Postby Dangermouse » 28 Nov 2009 14:01

Axel wrote:

well, yours does look very, very similar to ours, as you know, and we are perfectly fine with that.

I suppose there are only X amounts of designs out there that will work with plastic -construction methods do vary a lot more so though.
Bryan

E.H.C.G Conwy

Dangermouse
Captain

Postby Martin Wallgren » 16 Mar 2010 19:28

Updates!

The development continues and this week the boys will make a Mark IV or if it is Mark V (cant keep count anymore)

The news are a redisigned crossguard. 45mm longer blades, about 70 grams heavier (just around 1200g) Nylon as the material in this bunch. Johan and Mats has developed their CNC skills and are now ready to make any blade like messers, falchions, vikingswordsimulators and such. The maximum length is still 1000mm though, but in the future if all goes well they will make a longer CNC maschine and they can make bigger swords. We will also experiment and make four with wooden handles with classic leatherwraping.

Pictures as soon as I see them.

Some of the other Swedes have tried the latest version before this bunch at the Uppsala event a fourthnite ago. So for a unbiast comment ask em...
Martin Wallgren
Major

Return to General Historical Martial Arts