What size longsword do you prefer and why?

Open to public view.

What size longsword do you prefer and why?

Postby admin » 24 Feb 2009 14:52

I like quite small rigid pointy ones. Thick type XV, XVII or XVIII blade, blade about 33 inches, grip long enough to have a couple of inches between my hands but not much more. About 3lbs total weight. So more of a bastard sword really.
I prefer a stiff sword because it gives you more control at the bind and I like shorter swords because of their speed, particularly in the volta, and in close in one hand.
The longer I've been doing Fiore, the more I have moved away from longer longswords.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Jose SP » 24 Feb 2009 15:17

I prefer the "standard" blade lenght of around 90 cm, mainly because of that the shorter the blade the harder it is to strike simultaneously as you defend. I don't like very long grips as they get too much in the way for me. Stiff blades for thrusting.
KHFS Sweden
Jose SP
Lieutenant

Postby Harry » 24 Feb 2009 16:12

total lenght: 1350 mm
grip lenght: min. 300 mm max: 330 mm
crossguard: min. 200 mm max: 300 mm
weight: min. 1450 g max. 1850 g
center of gravity: 45 mm off the crossguard towards the point.
shape: quite pointy
stiffness: stiff until the 2/3 of the blade, rest I don't care :)

why: with this blade I have very stabil point. I can move the whole sword and the point always stays on the target.

it is light and fast and I can bring a lot of speed and so a lot of power into the cut and I can still provide a proper "winden" after bladecontact.

the feeling is excellent for me.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby TheDude » 24 Feb 2009 17:17

I like the Tinker longsword as an example of the length, weight and balance that suits me. I prefer a reasonable length, light(ish) with decent length grip for leverage. I do like to thrust a lot with a good tapered blade as well as strike singlehanded (either with the left or right hand). Don't have the dimesions on me right now.
TheDude
Major

Re: What size longsword do you prefer and why?

Postby bigdummy » 24 Feb 2009 19:36

admin wrote:I like quite small rigid pointy ones. Thick type XV, XVII or XVIII blade, blade about 33 inches, grip long enough to have a couple of inches between my hands but not much more. About 3lbs total weight. So more of a bastard sword really.
I prefer a stiff sword because it gives you more control at the bind and I like shorter swords because of their speed, particularly in the volta, and in close in one hand.
The longer I've been doing Fiore, the more I have moved away from longer longswords.

I'm kind of torn. This description of yours fits my Albion Constable very well (about 43" in total length), I think it is an excellent lethal sword and I like that weapon so much I spent a lot of time learning to fight with a weapon that size, which actually suits my preference to aggressively close in to Krieg range and finish a fight very quickly. If I had to use any of the swords I currently own in a real fight I would definitely use the Constable, I trust it not to break more, it is fast, has a lethal point and cuts better than all my other swords including my big Cervenka greatsword.

However I've learned that for me, and seemingly all the guys I fence with, the Lichtenauer techniques work much better with a longer sword about 48". I still prefer a light sword and a relatively stiff one, but I can usually beat someone fighting with a shorter weapon using a sword this size in sparring. I find the timing of it makes everything flow much better and your absentzen etc. work more reliably. Everything 'clicks', binds seem to work more like they are supposed to etc. I kind of forced the guys in our group to start using the larger weapons again about four months ago and I think our fencing improved a lot since that time.

So I'm leaning increasingly toward preferring the longer weapon now, though that depends on the circumstances, who I'm fighting, and how they are armed etc.

BD

Edit: The slightly different type of fight you do with the shorter, lighter swords still comes in handy when we are sparring with Shnai though.
"In the case of an ailing social order, the absence of an adequate diagnosis... is a crucial, perhaps decisive part of the disease." -Zygmunt Bauman

"With any luck we'll be in Stalingrad by winter. " - Anyonymous German soldier
bigdummy
Field Marshal

Postby Corporal Carrot » 24 Feb 2009 19:43

bigdummy wrote:
admin wrote:I like quite small rigid pointy ones. Thick type XV, XVII or XVIII blade, blade about 33 inches, grip long enough to have a couple of inches between my hands but not much more. About 3lbs total weight. So more of a bastard sword really.

I'm kind of torn. This description of yours fits my Albion Constable very well (about 43" in total length), I think it is an excellent lethal sword and I like that weapon so much I spent a lot of time learning to fight with a weapon that size, which actually suits my preference to aggressively close in to Krieg range and finish a fight very quickly. If I had to use any of the swords I currently own in a real fight I would definitely use the Constable, I trust it not to break more, it is fast, has a lethal point and cuts better than all my other swords including my big Cervenka greatsword.

However I've learned that for me, and seemingly all the guys I fence with, the Lichtenauer techniques work much better with a longer sword about 48". I still prefer a light sword and a relatively stiff one, but I can usually beat someone fighting with a shorter weapon using a sword this size in sparring. I find the timing of it makes everything flow much better and your absentzen etc. work more reliably. Everything 'clicks', binds seem to work more like they are supposed to etc. I kind of forced the guys in our group to start using the larger weapons again about four months ago and I think our fencing improved a lot since that time.

So I'm leaning increasingly toward preferring the longer weapon now, though that depends on the circumstances, who I'm fighting, and how they are armed etc.

BD

Edit: The slightly different type of fight you do with the shorter, lighter swords still comes in handy when we are sparring with Shnai though.

Any chance of a pic of the cervenka?
Einar
Corporal Carrot
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 24 Feb 2009 19:44

Well I've said for many years that I think longer swords suit Liechtenauer better and shorter swords Fiore.

admin
Emperor

Postby bigdummy » 24 Feb 2009 20:36

Corporal Carrot I made a post on the cervenka sword in the pub so as not to derail this thread.

BD
"In the case of an ailing social order, the absence of an adequate diagnosis... is a crucial, perhaps decisive part of the disease." -Zygmunt Bauman

"With any luck we'll be in Stalingrad by winter. " - Anyonymous German soldier
bigdummy
Field Marshal

Postby Brewerkel » 25 Feb 2009 03:22

They are all just tools. Some work better for some things than others, depending on how you expect to use them. That said, I think very long whippy longswords are for sportsmen to play tag and count how many flicks they can land. Nobody would seriously expect to defend their lives with such floppy thin blades.

:P
Brewerkel
Brigadier

Postby admin » 25 Feb 2009 11:09

So they are all just tools, but you have a preferred type anyway. Me too. :wink:

admin
Emperor

Return to General Historical Martial Arts