Movement in WMA's

Open to public view.

Postby Stunt Weasel » 25 Mar 2006 00:16

For what it's worth, it's definitely an achievable goal to lose the weight. I trained an actor for a liveshow for about two months and he dropped 45 pounds down to 205 in that time!

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Postby Monster Zero » 25 Mar 2006 00:23

I've already lost over 110... I've been at a plateau for a year due to work interferance with my training schedule and illness.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 1/4/5/?)
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby Stunt Weasel » 25 Mar 2006 03:11

Hmm. Well, that's quite impressive, Thom, seriously. I'm sure once you get back into the swing of things it'll keep going down.

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Postby Alina » 25 Mar 2006 03:56

James - thanks I'd love the manual. See, savate uses toe kicks which I'm fascinated by. When I first did martial arts I did TKD/Hapkido and learned chambered kicks. Then when I did Hsing-I and San Shou kickboxing I learned a more thai style of kicking that was far more powerful. Well, lately I've been looking at savate and I realized that chambered kicks using the toe could do massive damage - since savateurs wear shoes and so do people on the street. So I'm starting to think that the quick chambered toe kicks might be the most effective ones to use. When I was doing hapkido I'd do hundreds of kicks with each leg every day to train, and my feet were quite literally faster than my hands. I'm not nearly where I was, but I can get it back with a few months of training. So, I'm thinking Savate might be the style for me since I also love western boxing.
Alina
Concubine

Postby Stunt Weasel » 25 Mar 2006 04:14

With good alignment and a nice hard shoe, a toe kick can be devastating, Alina. I've taken a few and given a few. They really suck!

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Postby Monster Zero » 25 Mar 2006 04:58

I've found that every type of kick or punch has its purpose. Muay Thai is good for some, savate good for others. It's really about building an effective fighting repetoir.
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby Alina » 25 Mar 2006 07:03

Stunt Weasel wrote:With good alignment and a nice hard shoe, a toe kick can be devastating, Alina. I've taken a few and given a few. They really suck!

Mario

Yeah, I was thinking much the same thing. I agree with Thom as well, it's about having a nice bag of tricks. Toe kicks seem to be a quick, powerful use of the legs without as much commitment as a thai style kick requires. Course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't know the thai kicks as well.
Alina
Concubine

Postby Stunt Weasel » 25 Mar 2006 09:35

Naturally, being well rounded is important. Personally I'm always far more interested in good responses to the varying kinds of kicks.

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Postby Paul » 25 Mar 2006 12:08

In my Pencak Silat style, toe kicks are the most used ones. I'm not much of a kicker, and it's the only kick I can be reasonably fast with.

Because we train bare footed, they can be a pain sometimes. The key is to fold the toes upward and kick with the ball of the foot.

Shoes (steel toed, if you must) definately make it easier.
The Dutch now have a better navy than us. - an unnamed senior officer in the Royal (UK) Navy, January 2007
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Stunt Weasel » 25 Mar 2006 12:16

I've never seen anything other than front kicks in pencak silat, but my exposure to the style has been somewhat limited. Does your school teach other kicks as well, Paul?

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Postby Monster Zero » 26 Mar 2006 22:15

Kicks in my style are very different then, we do sort of sweeping, stomping kicks.
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby Paul » 26 Mar 2006 23:55

We might just have a small communication problem here.

The kick I meant is like this (assuming you want to hit the crotch with your toes):
- raise the knee straight forward until the upper leg is level
- throw out the lower leg, the key is speed.
- curl up the toes to prevent injury, hitting with the ball of your foot
This kick is pretty basic and limited, but very fast and handy against someone who doesn't cover his crotch. :wink:

You can do something similar from the side (against the knee for instance). Instead of just raising the knee, you have to cant your hips, like a peeing dog.

Both of these kicks can also hit with the shin, but the idea is usually to hit with the ball of the foot.

We also do scissors (from low-S position), sweeps, and kicks (more to stop an incoming kick or step) straight forward with the inside of the foot (high-S). The high-S can be seen here:
http://www.pencak-silat-germany.de/seit ... eetrap.jpg

And occassionaly we do sideways kicks from high-H like this:
High-H:
http://www.kpsnusantara.com/rapid/compe ... no1_06.jpg
Kick:
http://www.kpsnusantara.com/rapid/compe ... no1_07.jpg
Our are slightly different, but close enough.

All kicking is generally below the waistline, as above the waistline is too easy to deflect or even catch.

The "straight toe kick", the high-S and occassionaly a scissor are the only ones I ever employ in sparring. The rest is just way too slow.
The Dutch now have a better navy than us. - an unnamed senior officer in the Royal (UK) Navy, January 2007
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Stunt Weasel » 27 Mar 2006 00:25

Thanks for clarifying, Paul. I never studied pencak silat but knew a few practitioners and they always favored hand techniques in sparring. I had only ever seen them kick low with front kicks and also what you call the high s-kick, so I wasn't sure if the style involved any other foot techniques.

Mario
Last edited by Stunt Weasel on 27 Mar 2006 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
Stunt Weasel

Postby Paul » 27 Mar 2006 00:42

Yes, hand (and especially forearm) techniques rule. 8)

They are quicker and don't interfere with the footwork.

The "high-S" is not the Indonesian term btw, but it's the one we use.
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Stunt Weasel » 27 Mar 2006 01:58

The term I've always heard and used for that technique among circles out here is the stop kick, even though it doesn't always have anything to do with stopping an incoming kick.

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Postby Paul » 27 Mar 2006 07:39

Stopkick.... I kinda like that term! :D

It describes it quite well, as it's a very powerful kick for blocking incoming kicks as well as incoming steps. Since many Pencak Silat players want to close the distance fast, aggressive incoming steps are quite common, and this is a nice way to check them. :wink:
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Stunt Weasel » 27 Mar 2006 10:43

The stop kick is one of my favorites in sparring, as is the low roundhouse kick with the shin. I've recently gotten quite good at executing the spin back kick (typically to about gut level) as part of practice drills, but I'm a little nervous to use it in sparring as I hate turning my back even for a split second.

Mario
Stunt Weasel

Postby J Marwood » 28 Mar 2006 09:06

Forthose interested in 'street' kicks - google the 'Tegner kick'. It is a bastardised Karate mae-geri, delivered with the toes. It is a staple of many modern combatives programmes.

I'd also suggest drilling a straight punt at shin or knee level. I (accidentally) tooka guy out of a class with one of these in a pressure drill a few months back. He was wearing shin pads as well :)
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Monster Zero » 28 Mar 2006 17:03

The term doesn't mean it's specific to stopping an incoming kick, rather it stops an incoming attack or advance from the opponent.

Stunt Weasel wrote:The term I've always heard and used for that technique among circles out here is the stop kick, even though it doesn't always have anything to do with stopping an incoming kick.

Mario
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby J Marwood » 28 Mar 2006 17:07

Just like a fencing stop-hit?
J Marwood
Field Marshal

PreviousNext

Return to General Historical Martial Arts