Regulations for Cossacks - 1889

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 28 Oct 2012 09:44

Уставъ строевой казачьей службы, Часть I, С.Петербург, 1889
Regulations for Cossacks, Part I, St. Petersburgh, 1889

http://www.scarb.ru/literatura/metodich ... j-sluzhby/

Chapter I
Horsemanship rules

Chapter 2
Weapon usage on horseback (shashka, Caucasian dagger, lance, rifle)
http://www.scarb.ru/literatura/metodich ... luzhby1-2/

Chapter 3
Gymnastics

Chapter 4
(Cossack) vaulting

Chapter 5
Fencing
http://www.scarb.ru/literatura/metodich ... luzhby1-5/

Chapter 6
Platoon drills

Chapter 7
Drills on foot

Chapter 8
Dismounting and actions on foot

This valuable Cossack manual has been created and edited based on the original (1889)
by S. S. Makarov
Emil Barta
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Re: Regulations for Cossacks - 1889

Postby admin » 30 Oct 2012 16:28

Wow! What a great find! :shock:
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 24 Dec 2013 10:46

It has been interesting to see this book posted on FB on 21 December.

Some interesting comments:
Scott Brown: "One thrusting and one cutting? Clay targets?"

Schola Gladiatoria: "I think both are stabbing, one point-up, one point-down. The target is some kind of pell, but in the same manual they do seem to show clay pyramid targets for practicing sword cuts on, as well as other devices." (A)

Dima Fabricius: "They using dummies from "clay and withe", wooden shields and "balls"(no description of that),it's stated in the §124 and 143)" (B)

Reinis Rinka: "I believe Maksim has been teaching from this manual."
Emil Barta
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 24 Dec 2013 11:09

(A):
Most definitely stabbing with Caucasian dagger (kindzhal).
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0% ... 0%B0%D0%BB

The regulations specified three directions:
a) a downward stab with the dagger in icepick position (point-down),
b) an upward stab with the dagger in hammer position (point-up),
c) a sideways stab (point-down).

Also it is stated that stabbing should be taught on foot and no other ways as by stabbing physical objects (so no kata like drills in air).
Emil Barta
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 24 Dec 2013 11:26

(B):
For the training with a lance (stabbing with a lance) three targets should be used:
a) unspecified dummies,
b) straw (!) "shields", not wooden
c) unspecified balls, it would be logical to assume some kind of straw balls (suspended or on a long handle).

For cutting with shashka also three targets should be used (Paragraph 124):
a) unspecified dummies,
b) (flexible) branches,
c) clay.

Regarding dummies I could envisage a pell covered with wet clay mixed with cut straw, probably covered with some kind of old rag (in the section on thrusting with the Cossack sword it is specified that two chalk lines should be marked to ensure precision of thrusts).
Emil Barta
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 28 Dec 2013 16:57

I have stumble across a rough English translation of Paragraph 14 from the manual:

"§ 14. Всадникъ долженъ сидѣть въ середине сѣдла, облегая его плотно ногами; туловище его должно быть отвѣсно и не напряженно; плечи ровны, голова поставлена прямо, чтобы смотрѣть между ушей лошади; сидѣнье подобрано, внутренняя сторона колѣнъ должна быть плотно приложена къ сѣдлу, а потому колѣна отнюдь не отвернуты наружу от сѣдла.

Туловище, т.е. верхняя часть тѣла от пояса, и нижняя часть ноги от колѣна должны быть совершенно гибкими и потому ихъ именуютъ подвижными; средняя же часть – отъ пояса до колѣна – неподвижны. Сидя въ сѣдлѣ, всадникъ долженъ чувствовать настолько легкiй упоръ на стремена, чтобы они были ему помощью; а для сего стремя нужно продвинуть на 1/3 ступни, всею же ступнею надо ровно нажимать на стремя, т.е. так же, какъ человѣкъ стоитъ на землѣ; носки от лошади не должны быть отворочены.

Примѣчанiе. Длина стремянъ должна быть такова, чтобы при свободно опущенныхъ ногахъ всадника, сидящаго въ сѣдлѣ, они были бы на высотѣ щиколокъ его ногъ или же, чтобы всадникъ, ставъ на стремена, могъ свободно пропустить кулакъ между сѣдломъ и разрѣзомъ шага, но не болѣе.
"
Emil Barta
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 28 Dec 2013 16:59

14. The rider should sit in the middle of the saddle, tightly wrapping it with his legs; his torso should be upright and relaxed; his shoulders straight (square), his head erect in order to see between the ears of his horse; his buttocks (moderately) tight, the inner side of his knees should be tightly placed against the saddle, therefore his knees should not be turned away from the saddle.

The torso, i.e. the upper part of the body, above the waist, and the lower part of his legs, below the knees, should be completely flexible and therefore they are called "movable"; the middle part (of the body) - between the waist and the knees - should be motionless. While sitting in the saddle the rider should experience (exert) light pressure on stirrups in order to use them as aids; for that 1/3 of his foot should be inserted into the stirrup, the whole foot should exert uniform pressure on the stirrup in the same way as a man stands on ground; toes should not be turned away from the horse.

Remark.
The length of stirrup leathers should be such that when the rider sits in the saddle with his legs freely hanging in the air, stirrups are at his ankles, or when he stands in the stirrups, he should be able to insert freely his fist between the saddle and his groin (the point where the tops of the legs meet), but not more.
Emil Barta
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Return to 19thC Treatises