Counter attack vs parry/riposte - moved from Fiore

Liechtenauer lineage and related sources (eg. Sigmund Ringeck, Peter von Danzig, Paulus Kal, Hans Talhoffer), interpretation and practice. Open to public view.

Re: Counter attack vs parry/riposte - moved from Fiore

Postby PH BAS » 23 Feb 2012 14:47

Herbert wrote:
Keith P. Myers wrote:If you look at the more recent German tradition, Paulus Hector Mair doesn't seem to really distinguish between "absetzen" and "versetzen."

There you see how a system changed. I am quite certain that Absetzen is a different thing from Versetzen, as it is mentioned in the earlier sources.

Herbert

I confirm for Paul Hector Mair's works. Absetzen seem to be like versetzen, but like it's said : you have good versetzen and bad versetzen.

But sometimes you have again abnemen it seem to be a bad versetzen...
Gladiator cum libro, Motus!
http://reght.wordpress.com
PH BAS
Private

Re: Counter attack vs parry/riposte - moved from Fiore

Postby Arto Fama » 24 Feb 2012 02:38

Please reread my post. Excuse me for not making it clear.

I only meant to say that Ringeck does not specifically says: "Do it in one fluent motion". Therefore one could interpret it as two different moves.

Yes, I do believe Single Time is the way to do Absetzen, so I do not argue there. I only tried to explain why I think it can be interpreted otherwise (breaking it up into: Winding into position, stepping and thrusting)

Absetzen is a single time movement.
In the action of the opponent.

About the difference between versetzen and absetzen, seems to me absetzen is a specific versetzen, and ends with your point in the other. (examples given against thrust to lower Blose or Oberhaw). Only refering to the older manuals, offcourse.
Arto Fama
Private

Previous

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer