The Verzuckter Hau

Liechtenauer lineage and related sources (eg. Sigmund Ringeck, Peter von Danzig, Paulus Kal, Hans Talhoffer), interpretation and practice. Open to public view.

The Verzuckter Hau

Postby Dithyrambus » 26 May 2011 14:34

Reading through Codex Wallerstein and came across the Verzuckter Hau, or twisted stroke. Don't remember seeing this particular stroke in other German manuals (not that I have read em all) could someone elaborate a bit on this?

Thanks
Mark H.

"I have two enemies, the Southern Army in front of me, and the financial institutions in the rear. Of the two, the one in my rear is my greatest foe.” Abraham Lincoln

If you can parry a bull you can parry pretty much anything - Lyceum
Dithyrambus
Colonel

Re: The Verzuckter Hau

Postby KeithFarrell » 26 May 2011 14:45

I just had a look at Zabinski's translation. He describes it as a "shortened stroke": someone strikes at you, you bind with his blade, he winds round to put his false edge in your face, you wind up into a right Ochs to defend and to threaten him, and when he goes to defend himself you flick your blade from a dipped Ochs position up into his elbow joint. Quite a nice little technique: not a game winner by itself, but it will certainly upset your opponent and hurt him if it lands!
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Dithyrambus » 26 May 2011 15:01

KeithFarrell wrote:I just had a look at Zabinski's translation. He describes it as a "shortened stroke": someone strikes at you, you bind with his blade, he winds round to put his false edge in your face, you wind up into a right Ochs to defend and to threaten him, and when he goes to defend himself you flick your blade from a dipped Ochs position up into his elbow joint. Quite a nice little technique: not a game winner by itself, but it will certainly upset your opponent and hurt him if it lands!

Thank you Keith, it does seem a very nice technique indeed, I was a bit confused by the description (and the plates are not exactly a big help) but I think I understand it a little better now. Wallerstein seems to be keen on cuts to the arms and breaking arms as well, most of the grappling techniques descriptions include: "and break his arm". :)
Mark H.

"I have two enemies, the Southern Army in front of me, and the financial institutions in the rear. Of the two, the one in my rear is my greatest foe.” Abraham Lincoln

Dithyrambus
Colonel

Postby Dierk Hagedorn » 27 May 2011 16:49

Last year, we had a little workshop that contained the technique in question.

Here's a short video.

Best regards
Dierk
Dierk Hagedorn
Sergeant

Postby Dithyrambus » 27 May 2011 17:31

Dierk Hagedorn wrote:Last year, we had a little workshop that contained the technique in question.

Here's a short video.

Best regards
Dierk

Thank you so much Dierk!

What a difference a video makes, the mechanics of the technique are now crystal clear, and you have more videos of some of the techniques found in Wallerstein, very cool!
Mark H.

Dithyrambus
Colonel

Postby KeithFarrell » 09 Jun 2011 00:08

Interestingly enough, since this technique has been playing on my mind for a couple of weeks now, it managed to pop out of nowhere in the middle of a binding drill I was doing a few days ago. It was a slow practice drill, nothing at full speed, but my opponent managed to work me into a position where the Verzuckter Hau was the only technique that would keep me safe within the parameters of the particular drill. Funny how things like this live in the back of the mind and come out randomly when you are thinking about something else entirely!
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer