Wiktenauer Update: Andre Paurñfeyndt

Liechtenauer lineage and related sources (eg. Sigmund Ringeck, Peter von Danzig, Paulus Kal, Hans Talhoffer), interpretation and practice. Open to public view.

Wiktenauer Update: Andre Paurñfeyndt

Postby Michael Chidester » 11 Feb 2011 03:07

One of my students, Jeremiah Smith, has finally taken an interest in doing composite work. He's compiled the four known versions of Andre Paurñfeyndt's fascinating treatise. This includes my first ever manual transcription, from the rare 1516 edition. Paurñfeyndt's work is quite different from those of his fellow masters in the Liechtenauer tradition, perhaps because of his stated intention to provide a textbook for beginning swordsmen. Enjoy.

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Andre_Paur%C3%B1feyndt
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Re: Wiktenauer Update: Andre Paurñfeyndt

Postby KeithFarrell » 11 Feb 2011 11:23

Superb, thank you!
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook | blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ivan » 11 Feb 2011 12:19

Wow. This surely is different. Winging? Kron is a strike?
Step and strike through from above with your long edge to his left ear, step and strike the second with your short edge above below the right ear, and strike the third going backwards with the long edge.

Ooooh. Combo strings. Is this a triple zwerch?
Ars Gladiatoria - Zagreb
Stabbing People in the Face since 2008.®
Ivan
Corporal

Postby Michael Chidester » 16 Jun 2012 05:21

Kevin Maurer of the Meyer FreiFechter Guild has kindly donated a translation of the Longsword section to the wiki, which is now in its proper position online.
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby Ran Pleasant » 19 Jul 2012 03:27

Ivan wrote:Wow. This surely is different. Winging? Kron is a strike?
Step and strike through from above with your long edge to his left ear, step and strike the second with your short edge above below the right ear, and strike the third going backwards with the long edge.

Ooooh. Combo strings. Is this a triple zwerch?

No, Kron is not a strike. The text is talking about striking cuts from Kron. All of the 16 possible cuts that can be made with a longsword can be made from Kron. Please check out the following video to see how the cuts are made from Kron.

http://www.thearma.org/Videos/JC_ontheRealLongsword.m4v

This video will also be of help to you.
http://www.thearma.org/Videos/LongswordLesson1.m4v

Ran Pleasant
Ran Pleasant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Michael Chidester » 19 Jul 2012 04:51

The interesting thing about the Kronhau here is that the counter to it that Paurnfeyndt describes is actually the technique which Meyer labels the Kronhau itself.
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby Ran Pleasant » 19 Jul 2012 06:36

Michael

Yes, I did overlooked the Kronhau in Meyer. But there is nothing special about Meyer's Kronhau, it is just a cut from the Kron guard/position and he does not even note the angle of the cut. Depending on how one pushes the pommel up they can produce a vertical cut, a diagonal cut, or a horizontal cut. And as seen in the video all of the possible 16 cuts can be made from Kron. In both Meyer and Andre Paurñfeyndt it's clear they are demonstrating a technique for cutting rather than some specialized cut. In the end I would still say that Kron is not a cut, it is a guard/position.

Ran
Ran Pleasant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Michael Chidester » 19 Jul 2012 06:45

I agree, the first part of Paurnfeyndt is generally just describing cutting sequences that involve the technique named. For another example, in the Flugel device only the second cut of the three is the Flugelhau itself.
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Postby Ben Halliwell » 04 Aug 2012 00:56

Excellent, thank you guys for doing this!

Long ago I came across a copy of this treatise in the Glasgow museum and I was wondering if the gathered feet positions shown in the images could fill in a gap from Meyers footwork. Now I can find out, awesome.
Ben Halliwell

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer